Mercedes... Please Offer DC fast Charging as an Upgrade in !

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElixirBet

I mean come on guys....

If a Nissan, Mitsubishi, or Kia can do it then why can't a premium automobile manufacturer like Mercedes ?

I love my new B-Class Electric Drive but if it had a Quick Charger I would be able to ditch my Gas powered SUV for longer trips..

Quick charge was great feature on my Leaf but their battery range sucked. My little SMART Electric Drive is more consistent than the Leaf ever was,.. but it too would be MUCH better with a DC quick charger..

Mercedes, if you are listening, ...
PLEASE GIVE US A DC QUICK CHARGER!!!

Just sayin'.... :roll:

Our company is actively working on an aftermarket solution to this problem.

We currently have three Toyota Rav4 EV's (that use the same Tesla drivetrain as the Mercedes B-Class ED) in testing for our "JdeMO" charge inlet, which will allow you to use over 4000 CHAdeMO quick charge stations around the world.

ElixirBet said:
...I love my new B-Class Electric Drive but if it had a Quick Charger I would be able to ditch my Gas powered SUV for longer trips..

Quick charge was great feature on my Leaf but their battery range sucked. My little SMART Electric Drive is more consistent than the Leaf ever was,.. but it too would be MUCH better with a DC quick charger..

Mercedes, if you are listening, ...
PLEASE GIVE US A DC QUICK CHARGER!!!

Just sayin'.... :roll:
While I wouldn't mind a QC for emergencies, and I think Tony's JdeMO guys are doing great work, I really don't think QC is going to enable you to replace an ICE. Remember the 20min QC was only for charging between 20-80% on your LEAF. The charge rate for the 20% on either end approached the regular L2 level (oh and BTW the BLink chargers never read the percentage off my LEAF correctly and always required me to plug in again to actually get my battery to where I wanted it). So with 20min QC we are only talking ~65mi/charge on a B-Class (up from 55 or so in a LEAF). To get your full 100mi you are (1) going to shorten the lifetime of your battery and (2) going to spend a minimum of an hour (if not more) at the QC.

Personally I am not interested in stopping every hour and hoping that two things are in my favor: (a) the QC is unoccupied and (b) the EVSE is still in service (functioning). Too many times that 25min stop has actually been more than an hour or two (and when only L2 was available a couple of hours). So I changed my habits to not rely on QC, but treat it as a bonus if it happened to be available (and worked).

I use my EV for 40mi radius from my home, with some L2's every now and then, and it works great under those expectations. Having QC will definitely reduce the limitations of your EV, but believing that QC will enable an EV to replace a regular 400mi range gas fueled car (for less than an $85k Tesla) just doesn't make sense to me.

Back