Add a Charge Timer

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have sent in the same complaint. However rather than wait I decided and put in a timer in line with my charger. For about $100 you can pick up a timer at Home Depot and wired in line.

It almost seems like Mercedes got started doing that, then didn't finish. Check the "Settings" menu, and you can navigate to a screen that suggests you can set a certain "% charge", to be achieved at any one of three different deadlines (A, B, or C). Am I getting this confused with the automatic climate control feature? I can't believe this isn't going to be offered in a future firmware release. Seems like such a basic feature for a contemporary EV.

If you want to take advantage of the 9.6 kW charge rate at home, the options for outboard charge timers are limited, and what is available tends to be costly. Yes, you can always charge more slowly, I suppose.

For a level 2 charger that meets the approx 10 kWh charge rate check out the ClipperCreek HCS-60 for $899.

The Siemens Versicharge has a simple built-in delay function that I've found very useful. True, it's only 30 amps and can't quite charge at the full 10kW but comes fairly close and is still pretty practical. I've been pretty happy with it for my B-class.

JAMP JR (available March 2015) will have an optional timer.

JAMP JR "Model 40-50" will charge the Mercedes B-Class ED at 40 amps (9.6kW), the fastest rate possible for that car.

$499, with 25 foot ultra flexible light weight J1772 cord, plus three feet of cord to a NEMA 14-50 plug. The lowest cost warranted 40 amp charge cable on the planet.

Requires 50 amp electric circuit with NEMA 14-50R wall outlet. We sell the receptacle here for just $5.99 (cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot!!!)

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/14-50R-Outlet-14-50R.htm

The timer will add $100 (this timer alone can retail for up to $399 at some locations... no, I'm not kidding!)

• 24-Hour or 7-Day applications

• Auto Daylight Saving Time (DST) feature, or program your own days (some electric utilities don't follow normal dates for DST)

• 50 charge "events" (on, off is two events). For a typical overnight charge, Monday through Friday, with one on and one off per day is simple and easy to setup, but it can do far more sophisticated programming as well

• Easy-to-follow menu driven programming, but we will set it up at no charge if you provide us your time zone, whether or not your local area follows normal Daylight Savings Time, and what days of the week and what times you want the charge to start and stop.

• Supports English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and Dutch

• Manual override to charge immediately

• Battery Backup (CR2032 watch battery), never lose time or your programming to a power outage

• Large LCD, quality design and manufactured in Germany

SiaBani said:
Tony - when will you have the timer ready?

About six to eight weeks. I physically have on in my hand, but it is not physically integrated into our JAMP JR.

Electrically, it's very simple, so there's nothing to figure out there. It just how it mounts; either internal or external.

Tony, given your very small footprint an external display and select switch in a small box might be the way to go. you only need a ground, 5V power, and the 2 I2C connections.

As an aside, I have been using the OpenEVSE RTC to charge at night and it works well with my B . I feel that using it this way I can use all 40A on my 100A panel. Other drains late at night should be minimal.

Ya, I'm leaning that way. This "timer thing" wasn't going to be in the original design, so I'm doing a bit of redesigning now.

External makes the whole process easier.

TonyWilliams said:
Ya, I'm leaning that way. This "timer thing" wasn't going to be in the original design, so I'm doing a bit of redesigning now.

It used to be that enabling the RTC without the hardware locked up the EVSE. Now it checks so it would still run with the external display unplugged. You just get 165's instead of the real time. He put that fix in for me.

GlennD said:
TonyWilliams said:

It used to be that enabling the RTC without the hardware locked up the EVSE. Now it checks so it would still run with the external display unplugged. You just get 165's instead of the real time. He put that fix in for me.

My timer won't interact with the circuit card. It will do a full "wake up" at the proximity pin, just like it had just been physically plugged in.

This was/is an issue with Tesla powered cars.

I've voiced my criticism of the lack of timed (scheduled) charging and the poor B-class "app" to Mercedes. The omission of this basic feature is crazy and possibly a significant expense for those without solar or an EVSE that has charge scheduling...

After a few rounds of voicemail tag I received an email today from a case manager... sounds encouraging

"While we do not have a timed charge function available at this time, we are working to implement a solution"

I have asked for a timeline for the update. I'll post when I get a response. At least MB is aware of the problem and working on a fix.

I'm encouraged MB is listening to their 2014 "beta" testers and improvements are pending... hopefully not a long wait

ophthodawg said:
I've voiced my criticism of the lack of timed (scheduled) charging and the poor B-class "app" to Mercedes. The omission of this basic feature is crazy and possibly a significant expense for those without solar or an EVSE that has charge scheduling...

After a few rounds of voicemail tag I received an email today from a case manager... sounds encouraging

"While we do not have a timed charge function available at this time, we are working to implement a solution"

I have asked for a timeline for the update. I'll post when I get a response. At least MB is aware of the problem and working on a fix.

I'm encouraged MB is listening to their 2014 "beta" testers and improvements are pending... hopefully not a long wait

My OpenEVSE timer works flawlessly. From what Tony says it is problematic on his RAV4 EV's but it worked on my Leaf and it works fine on my B ED.

Glenn,

thanks for the openEVSE info...

On the advice of the dealer we (my electrician) installed a Bosch charger. It works great although no timer function. Its suitable for outdoor use/abuse...

I can't tell, are the OpenEVSE units suitable for outdoor use?

thanks

Patrick

ophthodawg said:
Glenn,

thanks for the openEVSE info...

On the advice of the dealer we (my electrician) installed a Bosch charger. It works great although no timer function. Its suitable for outdoor use/abuse...

I can't tell, are the OpenEVSE units suitable for outdoor use?

thanks

Patrick
An OpenEVSE is the ultimate DIY project. You buy the basic parts and you build to your specifications. I build OpenEVSE's as a hobby. I built one for use outside on a pole in Georgia. As far as I know it is working fine. It depends totally on the builder.

+1. The Smart EV has a version of this (web enabled, even...), so should the B-Class. Hopefully a possible software upgrade...

Well my 100A FPE panel gave up. One morning at around 4AM WITH VERY LIGHT LOADS IT CAUGHT ON FIRE. I NOW HAVE A 200A PANEL LABELED EATON. It seems that Anaheim now requires at least 200A. Oh well it gives me lots of slots even though 100A would have been fine. My highest load is my 40A car.

Back