When we can choose 200+ mile electric vehicles

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffRay

Thought I would start a topic that anyone can chime in on. Please add whatever pops to your mind.

We are probably a couple of years away from having our choice of long range electrics in all shapes and sizes. What might that mean for each of us.

For me, it at least means a long legged replacement for my commute to work car. Then I might only have to charge it every other week unless I take it out 200 miles somewhere. Or if our gas wagon craps out, it might mean a more spacious sedan/wagon that can go 300+ miles. I think we will keep the gas roadster and pass it down to the next generation.

I have to wonder what exactly is Tesla's sustainable advantage when other companies catch up. Will it be price as the established companies have high overhead and labor rates? Will it be unfettered styling like the X car doors or the cutting edge use of technology, AI or otherwise? Will it be their captive battery factory?

Tesla's main advantage is the Supercharge network. If you want range over function there is always the Bolt. VW and Nisson have announced long range cars. By the time that your lease is up there should be a choice.

I received an Email from Tesla asking me to configure my 3. The cars are in the 50K range when you option it out. There may never be a 35K car. Since I do not fit in the S or the 3 I will pass. I fit in the X but it is around 87K for a really basic car the only options are color and the autopilot. That is too rich for me given Tesla"s shaky finances. To me that is a lot of money to risk.

Well my Tesla rejection failed with a full mailbox message. There is no way I am going to spend over 50K for a car. Since they are hurting they can have my 1K deposit.

I looked at the Jaguar electric videos and like the size, style, luxury features and of course the 200+ mile range. A little pricey compared to our B250e but would consider to lease to try it out for 3 years. Of course, my favorite would be a MB E class size electric.

JeffRay said:
I looked at the Jaguar electric videos and like the size, style, luxury features and of course the 200+ mile range. A little pricey compared to our B250e but would consider to lease to try it out for 3 years. Of course, my favorite would be a MB E class size electric.

Yes, there should be a lot of choices in the next couple of years. Most manufactures are coming out with electric cars. Volvo, and Jaguar at least on the high end. For those where money does not count Porsche has announced a ca.r.

All of the announced cars are using CCS for fast charging. It looks like Chademo is dead in this country except for Japanese cars. Then there is Tesla"s exclusive SuperCharger network that checks for authorized users and is exclusive to their cars.

While the Tesla Y may fit my needs, there is little chance it will be ready when my current lease is up (11/19)
The Kona is an option, but not a fan of the exterior styling.
If Volvo gets the XC40 in EV in time, with non leather seat option, I'd jump on that one.
Otherwise, not much else coming up so far that would work for me.

The real thing is that most of us will have the B for a few more years. At that time there will be more choices. The Koreans have several cars announced. GM has said that EV's are in their plans. For me the Bolt is a non-starter. As for me I have until 9/19 to make up my mind. Who knows, I just might go with Urber.

I just returned my MB B-ED and got my Tesla Model 3 invite and ordered the long range version (310 miles) this week. My main requirements are long range (~250+ miles), quiet (low road/wind noise), good styling/content, comfortable headroom/legroom for 4 (up to 6'), good cargo capacity and fun driving experience. After researching everything available and expected to come out within next 6 months my conclusion is the Tesla Model 3 is best fit for me but certainly not perfect. I believe the Tesla's main advantages in the near term are its Supercharger network, batteries and support (e.g. OTA updates). After test drives, I don't really care for EV's like Bolt, LEAF, etc. so I don't see Chevy, Nissan or VW as serious contenders as they are focused on mainly functional commuter cars. The traditional luxury car makers (MB, Audi, Jag) can put out new EV's in next 12 months but it's unlikely they will be able to match Tesla in those areas in the near future.

My ideal EV is also an MB E-class EV. It would be a long range (300+ miles) MB E-class EV that would be between the Tesla Model 3 and Model S in terms of length. Tesla Model S (~MB S-class length and Model X (~MB GL-class length) both felt like a boat to me. The Tesla Model 3 is similar to MB C-class length and little shorter than I would like but still acceptable (the MB B-ED got me used to the shorter size). It looks the MB EQ-E will be one of the later EQ models coming out (~2020/2021?). So, I plan to check out the MB EQ-E in a few years.

My dentist has a friend that is buying a 3 primarily for the supercharge network. If you travel it is hard to beat! He also changed his order to the loaded version to avoid the long wait, I guess if you live in Newport Beach you can afford the deluxe car.

Since I only use my B for local trips range does not matter. I keep forgetting to plug in my car. Today it was just under half when I went to lunch. Ideally I would charge at 75% but it gets me around.
At 25% it reduces the power and I try to avoid that.

Our lease on the 2015 B will be up in Oct.

I really like the Jag and it should be "available" by then. It is a lot more money than the B was though, so hard to say.
I am also very interested in the EQC (familiarity and all), we should officially hear about it right before our lease is up. Maybe we can extend our lease once details are known.
The Audi is interesting and should be coming early next year. We already know the price on that one, and its more than the Jag.
There is also the Kona and/or Niro EV's though neither one will likely be avaialbe in WA in time for my lease end but they are both just around the corner.
The Bolt is a non-starter for me, its far too cheaply built for its cost.
LEAF E+ with 200+ range and a battery TMS, that could be interesting if the price stays similar.

I looked at a Tesla X. With only the color and autopilot it was 77K. Given Tesla's finances I passed. I could afford the lease but the company frightens me. It is bad enough having a Tesla drive train but ultimately Mercedes is responsible for my car..

Limited news from Mercedes about their next electric offering, supposedly a A class SUV with 200+ mile range. That would make buying out the B250e lease at the end of 2019 an interesting decision. Would rather stay in the Mercedes family vs. switching to the Jaguar electric. However, no harm to look and see.

27xl4rp.jpg

Just picked up a used Tesla Model S P85D for a little over $40k. I still have the lease on the B-class for a few more months but I couldn’t pass up this deal. The B-class is still a lovely car but the Tesla definitely wins. The killer app is the range and supercharging network. I drove the car back home almost 800 miles and it was a breeze. I shudder to think about what such a trip would be like in the B-class.

I know we have adjusted to the range on our Bs and use it as a commuter car and not a trip car, so it’s not a fair comparison. But in the few weeks since the Tesla has become my daily driver instead, range and planning my charging have become a completely different situation. I can’t charge at home and I was constantly strategizing my charging with the B so I had enough for my daily commute. But with 250 miles of range to play with, charging is almost an afterthought with the Tesla - I’ll get to it when I can. Plus the mobile app is light years beyond that pathetic web app MB offered up (and is discontinuing at the end of this month)! Used Teslas are finally becoming affordable - several older model S for around $30k on EV-CPO.com.

Yes, used Teslas are definitely getting interesting. They're gradually dropping in price and should be more affordable as time passes. I don't think anyone knows how long an electric car will last, but it's safe to say the motors should not be the limiting factor. Tesla batteries seem to be holding up well too. In fact it seems like used Model 3's and Chevy Bolts will pretty affordable long before VW and Hyundai and Kia ever get their act together.

If my job suddenly moved 50 miles away, I think I'd opt for the Bolt (have to check those seats out first though). The S and 3 are both too low slung for me.

I'm not sure about where you live, but here in Cary, NC Models 3's are everywhere. We have four or five in my office parking lot now. I've gotten used to their looks and I really like them now. There's a red one with a black roof rack that really looks sweet...

Electrons,

Makes sense since you like me don't have a charger at home. I still use my leased B250e as a short range commuter car. We have my wife's depreciated wagon for road trips and have had my well depreciated roaster out for a week now. Nothing beats top down gentlemen.

In investigating Level 3 chargers within 5 miles of where I live, it is pretty clear to me that Tesla has a big installed advantage I am sure I would manage fast charging at a Level 3 charger but it seems like it could be tricky just now.

So I will watch and wait and see how things develop.

Back