Are you planning to buy a Model Y to replace your B Class?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallcp

I suppose this is the wrong audience to ask, since we've bought into the B-Class and the limited range must be working for us. But in a couple of years I plan to go look at a Model Y and see if the B is still the answer.

We don't know much about the Model Y yet, but in general it sounds promising. More cargo capacity than the Model 3, higher door openings and interior height, that Model 3 dashboard, really good range, Model 3 performance, Tesla supercharger network, etc.

Of course the devil is in the details, details we don't know. How does that hatch open? How does the interior space compare to our B? How are the seats?

I don't know about you fellow readers, but I love my car so much that getting a Y may be a tough sell. It will have to be one sweet car to beat the B.

If the battery pack on the B could be upgraded to get to the 150 mile range I'd pay $$ just for that. I love this car. Although the range of the Y is tempting. As it is I'll probably be looking at the JdeMO add on for fast charging later this year. Smaller states like we have on the east coast really make the B's range useful since there is so much you can do and see in a relatively small area.

So I went to the Brooklyn Whole Foods to top up (was at 74%) and make some calls. Sharing the ChargePoint Charger was a brand new eGolf (Hello Glenn). It is a slightly smaller version of our B250e. Fits 4 comfortably and has an indicated range of 125 miles. Similar small boot hatchback naturally.

The driver was a newbie and basically said he traded in an ICE Golf for the eGolf He showed me the window sticker which said MSRP was $32,250. He leased it and said the monthly was cheap. I gave him the ABCs of charging in our neighborhood but ended with the reality that when winter hits, he should expect a 40% reduction in range. He took that blow but I could tell he was processing that reality.

So, I am going to add the eGolf to the examination list for late 2020.

jeffray,

I had an e-golf in 2015, and loved how it drove. It ended up being declared a lemon due to many issues that VW bought it back.

My understanding is that 2019 may be the last year for the e-golf, with all the different i.d. vehicles about to come out.

In2Insight,

First of all, after all this time, I get your moniker. Sheesh.

Thanks for insight on eGolf. Yes, I did go to their website and see that they are hoping to come out with some new electrics in 2020. Will take a look and be aware of your cautionary experience.

Back