Tesla Police Car Runs Out of "Juice" in High-speed Pursuit

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordAnglia

A bit off-topic but never the less interesting to EV owners.

Fremont Police converted a used Tesla Model S into a Police Car. Mostly as an experiment, but a tip of the cap to Tesla (whose car assembly plant is in Fremont, California)

However, it ran out of battery power during a high-speed pursuit on a local freeway (close to my work office)

Read the Full Story Here

Peter,

Read somewhere was that they only plugged in when it dropped below 50%. Seems to me they have not made the mental conversion from ICE to EV range?

Jeff,

According the article I linked the Police procedure is to put the Tesla on the EV charger at the end of each shift.
On this occasion the vehicle had just returned from service and had only a 50% charge.

This is not much different from an ICE patrol car not being fueled before a shift.

To your point, fueling any ICE car is trivial compared to charging an EV.

Apparently, the office behind the wheel of the Tesla patrol car had to find a local EV charger to return to the police station.
I would have liked to come across a Tesla in Police "uniform" at a super charger!!

Peter,

Back