Has anyone looked at a hybrid?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffRay

Hey all,

In my vast spare time recently, I have been looking at long-legged hybrids and trying to figure out if it would fit my commuting needs. To start with, there is only one hybrid that can supposedly drive EV only for 48 miles. It is a Honda and qualifies for the full $7500 rebate.

Compared to our B250e range, this would mean having to charge twice as often. There is the BMW i3 but it is too small for my family of four. Since I live in a condo with no place to charge overnight, I would plan to plug into the pokey 120v outlet at work and top up at an L2 charger at least once a week. Hey that reminds me that the incubator landlord would allow me to install an L2 charger there so I could charge up there during the day. Thereby basically drive all electric most of the time.

On the other hand, I could buy my B250e at a discount off lease AND install an L2 charger at work. Hm. Lease ends in September so that is why I am looking at my options more intently.

Take care everyone.

JeffRay,

The mental stumbling block for me is that a hybrid power train is complex. I like simple. "High Voltage Battery connects to Electric Motor".
Adding an ICE engine, with 100% of the ICE maintenance, seems like a step backwards. Plus, the High Voltage Battery is downsized to make room for a fuel tank and exhaust pipe. I might be wrong... Someone bring me the counter point!

Peter,

Peter,

Counterpoint follows. So right now, we are either seeing smallish EVs or expensive EVs. Maybe 2021 will bring an EV like our B250e but with longer range as the charging infrastructure in urban areas is limited. I guess the biggest reason is to seek range, price and comfort all in one car. Right now, have 3 cars, one for work, one for trips, and one for fun. Recent events have informed me that having three, even though the two ICE cars are paid for, increases my monthly insurance and parking costs. So it would be nice to downsize to one all purpose greenish car at some point.

The reality is inertia will drive me to keep the wagon and the roadster so that time is not now. So it comes down to getting a discount and keeping the B250e or letting it go until the perfect replacement appears.

Take care everyone.

Marking a milestone in Mercedes-Benz history, our first-ever electric car combines the style and practicality of an SUV with all the benefits of electric driving. At Mercedes-Benz of Huntington, our dedicated and knowledgeable staff works tirelessly to deliver the best customer experiences possible. Whether you are looking for a new or pre-owned or Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes-Benz vehicle, our dealership offers some of the best Mercedes-Benz deals that you will be hard pressed to find elsewhere. Whenever you want to find out about the features in a Mercedes-Benz model that you are interested in, we have Product Concierges who will go over every single detail you want to know about these features.

Besides Mercedes-Benz car sales, we also make sure that you can discover stellar financing options at our dealership, making it easy for you to buy a car or value your trade-in. You will also not be disappointed with our exceptional in-house mechanics who can help to keep your Mercedes-Benz vehicle in great shape as well as help you obtain OEM Mercedes-Benz spare parts. Visit us today and see what it means to provide the highest level of service excellence!

MB Huntington,

Welcome, albeit a little strange. The B250e was the first MB all electric. I assume you were talking about the EQC. Are you saying that it is now for sale in the U.S.? If so, there are some interested members including me who has an expiring lease on my B250e.

Who should we contact at your dealership who actually knows something about electric cars? Our collective experience is that few at MB dealers know anything. Guarantee you at least one call back if you can provide a knowledgeable salesperson.

BTW, your website does not show any EQCs for sale, just a hybrid.

Back