My Next EV?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordAnglia

Greetings,

As much as I love my MB B250e, it may be time to find a successor. Nothing wrong with the B250e, but that 85mile range could be a problem this year.

A new job with greater travel has brought "range anxiety".

So, what to consider as an EV successor?

I would like to stay ICE-free. I think Hybrids are silly (two power trains, complexity, potentially big repair bills...)

Anyone taken a serious look at the Volvo XC40 Recharge? Just cruised by the local Volvo dealership, and they have two units around the back, one on an L2 charger. L2 is "okay" but the Volvo website mentions a fast home charger "11kW Three-phase" (hmm.. maybe in Sweden, but not here in California)

Looking forward to a test drive, but probably not for a week-plus, as I'm suddenly busy at work.

Comments Welcome!

Peter,

Peter,

With covid, less reason for me to commute to my incubator office so I ditched the lease and set up an office at home. My entire family loved the 2017 B250e but the buyout price was too high for me so I turned it in last September. Now down to my two beloved ICE cars both with 85K miles.

Am keeping my attention on the new batch of EVs and I agree with you that the Volvo XC40 recharge looks like a great move up from the B250e range wise. The back seats are not as roomy but there is an option for heated seats which would be great in the winters here. They are also just arriving in NYC dealer and I am promised a test drive when it is available. I just saw a YouTube video which claimed that Volvo was conservative with its EPA range whilst others like Tesla overpromise range. Interesting. The part I did not like was the realization that range is lower for highway than city. Not by a little but more than a little. And in the winter here, all EV range is diminished unless the car comes with a heat pump which I believe the XC40 does.

Other cars I am keeping an eye on are: MB EQA and EQC when they come to the U.S. The VW EVs and the Mustang. Not a Tesla fan. I am keeping an eye out for a gently used 2020 MB GLC350e PHEV. Yes, it is complicated but the EV only range works for my city driving which is the bulk of my miles and the ICE engine will take get us to Boston, Philly or further. It would remind me of our B250e when in EV only mode.

JeffRay said:
Peter,

Am keeping my attention on the new batch of EVs and I agree with you that the Volvo XC40 recharge looks like a great move up from the B250e range wise. The back seats are not as roomy but there is an option for heated seats which would be great in the winters here. They are also just arriving in NYC dealer and I am promised a test drive when it is available. I just saw a YouTube video which claimed that Volvo was conservative with its EPA range whilst others like Tesla overpromise range. Interesting. The part I did not like was the realization that range is lower for highway than city. Not by a little but more than a little. And in the winter here, all EV range is diminished unless the car comes with a heat pump which I believe the XC40 does.

Jeff,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, looks like you and I are both seeking a B250e replacement, and I expect other B250e owners here are also thinking about their next vehicle.

I'll know more after an XC40 Recharge test drive, tentatively set for Sunday (3/14) due to my schedule this month. Plus, I'll also have some time before making a decision, so I'm not rushed. Thinking of a lease (a first for me) and then a potential buy out at the lease end.

There is a heat pump option ($350), and heated rear seats, as you noted. The vehicle uses "Android Auto" and not Apple CarPlay, which I know better as an IOS user. I'd like to see what EV charging plug is fitted to the XC40R, although it looks like both AC (L1 & L2) and "DC" (L3 CCS) options. Locally there has been an explosion in EV stations since the B250e was released, but most new ones are "DC" L3, which doesn't help the B250e audience.

On the downside, I'm reading there is only one black interior option, and possibly only "vegan" upholstery (meaning no leather) for the Volvo. I sat in the XC40R briefly and immediately noted the ceiling is quite a bit lower than the B250e, although the power seat was set too high and two far forwards for me. It can be reset.

We had a Volvo XC90 rental vehicle on a Canadian trip and right before COVID hit, it was a very nice ride!

JeffRay said:
Other cars I am keeping an eye on are: MB EQA and EQC when they come to the U.S. The VW EVs and the Mustang. Not a Tesla fan. I am keeping an eye out for a gently used 2020 MB GLC350e PHEV. Yes, it is complicated but the EV only range works for my city driving which is the bulk of my miles and the ICE engine will take get us to Boston, Philly or further. It would remind me of our B250e when in EV only mode.

Another reason for taking the lease route is that we expect many new EV models to appear over the next year or two.

I'll update here as I learn more.

Peter,

Peter,

My SOP is to lease first year models cause stuff happens like it did on the 2014 B electric (the motor and the software recall). Also, with emerging tech EV as you pointed out, it only gets better. Volvo qualifies for full EV Federal tax credit so there is no leasing penalty money wise.

Am pretty sure that the performance XC40 is coming out first and then the other models and options. Let us know what the dealer says when you go for your test drive.

Jeff,

Agree! Lease is my best option for all the reasons we've mentioned. I just read an article about the Android Automotive system that will likely appear in the Volvo XC40 Recharge before other brands and models. Volvo was a CarPlay client, and as I'm an IOS (iPhone/iPad) user this will be an interesting adjustment. Not a showstopper.

I'm looking forward to a test drive next weekend, and I will report my impressions/findings here.

Peter,

Peter,

At the risk of being labeled a youtube nerd, I believe that Alex from Autos said that Apple Car Play will work. How exactly, he did not show in his video.

JeffRay said:
Peter,

At the risk of being labeled a youtube nerd, I believe that Alex from Autos said that Apple Car Play will work. How exactly, he did not show in his video.

Jeff,

I saw that too, I think the main advantage of Android Automotive is that is does not require a smart phone connection. CarPlay does require an iOS device to be attached (via USB cable or BlueTooth)

There are two Android vehicle products, "Auto" (version for smart phones) and "Automotive" - the new system built into the vehicle. The names are so similar I expect further confusion with users of either.

I have my fingers crossed that this path will avoid the costly purchase of a NAV system, and that future in-car screens will work with Google Maps (via smartphone of either flavor) Having personal destinations in the phone is a big plus over trying to program the dedicated NAV in a rental vehicle.

Before COVID grounded us from pleasure trips with vehicle rentals, we typically used an iPhone/Google Maps for navigation. This was across many brands and models with little headache. Mostly the hurdle was clearing out the BlueTooth pairings made by previous renters.

Peter,

Back