Audi e-tron Test Drive

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordAnglia

Took an Audi e-tron (MY2019) out on the public roads today. Comparing it to my much-loved MB 250e.

Pros
1. Range (204 vs 85)
2. L3 (CCS or “DC”) Charging (Can charge to 80% in about 30minutes on a 150kw EVSE)
3. Interior volume is much bigger than the B250, comparable to our Acura MDX SUV (yes, we have an ICE vehicle)
4. CarPlay - iOS cell phone needed. Has wire-less phone connect, and Qi W.Ch charging.
5. Has an electric moon-roof, which also helps with vertical space when seated.
6. Has an electric rear hatch open and close, can be opened from the keyfob remote.
7. Loaded with "tech" - far beyond anything I've owned. Reminded me of the Volvo XC90 we had as a rental vehicle.
8. Rides very well, luxury interior.
9. Has a real spare wheel/tire in the hatchback well.
10. Has a push Start-Stop button, and odd but easy to use R-N-D lever in the center console.

Cons
1. Much larger vehicle than the B250, so seems a bit wasteful as a single rider vehicle.
2. Value (cost is about 200% cost of a new B250e)
3. 355hp for 5,754 lbs (B250e is 177hp for 3,924 lbs) - Oops, Surprise! The B250e is at a disadvantage.
4. Regen has paddles (like the B250e) but may not have true one-pedal driving style. (Didn't seem to be a set back during the brief test drive)
5. Frunk (front stowage) is very tiny (we didn't bother to inspect it)
6. Test vehicle didn't have HOV stickers (can be purchased $22 - good through 2025?)

We didn’t find anything that was a “show stopper”. Overall we like the vehicle. Off the line acceleration is strong, and with two motors has “AWD” operation (Audi Quattro system)

The interior is very nice, comparable quality with MB. Some wood trim, and leather. Plastic panels are textured much like the B250e.

The driver's controls were nice, much fewer buttons than the B250e. The dash instruments are all LCD (won't be long before mechanical dial gauges completely vanish from vehicles)

The EPA range is 204 miles on a full charge, or about 250% compared to the B250e. The 95kwh battery is limited to 85% of the battery capacity, not sure if there's a way to charge it further? For the MY2021 (there wasn't an MY2020 due to COVID, we looked at a gently used first year MY2019) this range is bumped to 222 miles.

There is a Range display in miles remaining (not % of capacity) The display changed to a lower value when we turned on the AC/Heating, and back up when we turned it off. So the range display is smart. There is both seat heating and cooling (circulating air, not AC) for the front seats (we didn't venture into the rear seating)

Anyone else been behind the wheel? Or, doing research on a B250e replacement?

Peter,

Back