The i3: My One Day Test Drive

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferdball

Just a quick Cliffs Notes on the benefits of an EV car. There is a term in the auto industry called NVH. That stands for Noise, Vibration, and Harshness. I don't know why Harshness is in there because the Noise and Vibration pretty much covers it, but these are from car engineers working in the cold of Detroit. It's a big change from studying Mechanical Engineering at San Diego State, but anyway... An Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) has it, an EV doesn't. We should actually start calling ICE cars NVH cars. Ha! So, an EV car has little to no NVH, costs 4 times less to fuel, requires much less maintenance, has instant torque, and has less of a carbon footprint. But you probably already knew that, or you wouldn't be here. Let's start with the i3 doors.

The i3 Doors
Even in tight spots, a regular door lets you escape into the open. But with the suicide doors, a rear passenger is trapped in the folds of the front and rear doors. When dropping off at the curb, its an involved process. I have to reach all the way over to the passenger side door and open it. The rear passenger can then open his door and get out. The passenger then has to close the rear door, then the main passenger door, in that order. Its about the same on the drivers side, except that I have to also unbuckle my seat belt.

IMG_0187.JPG

The Styling
Don't like it. I like that the B is conventional, and that I don't have to explain it.

The Tires
I get it. Less rolling resistance makes it more efficient, while the 20's gives it a little bit of the contact patch back. But they're just weird looking.

Luxury
Having owned a MB BED for exactly one year, I can tell you that there is a definite difference between the luxury expectations of the MB, and the sustainability of the i3. Luxury comes at a cost: The MB is 1300lbs heavier than the i3! But I get leather seats, trays and arm rests in the back, seat memory, more space, etc.

Capture-i3-BED.PNG

Right-Footed Driving
The i3 has aggressive regenerative braking when you lift off the accelerator pedal. This is great during stop and go traffic. But what about when you just want to coast? Isn't it more efficient to accelerate again after coasting, than it is to accelerate after aggressive regen braking? I mean, you're going slower after braking, so it makes sense that you have to accelerate longer to regain your speed. Think about it: Going from 45 to 40 to 45 is better than going from 45 to 30 to 45. I guess you can coast with the i3 too, but it would take a lot of foot control to hold the pedal in just the right spot...

Sportiness
I think the ICE version of the B-Class is about 1000 lbs less. So the MB is overweight and top heavy. It doesn't handle or ride like it was a purpose built car. The i3 on the other hand, seems to be able to handle it when you have the itch. I have a tuned Mazdaspeed, so I've had my fun in a car. But the sweet spot of my car is above 60 MPH. An EV with its instant and quiet torque can scratch that itch even at legal speeds.

IMG_0195.JPG

The Verdict
The i3 truly is revolutionary. If the specs fit your needs, I would recommend it. But we have a 9 and a 12 year old, and frequently drop them off and pick them up around the neighborhood. Having to get out and unbuckle each time is a deal breaker. I guess I'll stick with my NVH car until the 16 Leaf comes out.

Very accurate comparison. I'm happier with the B-Class over the i3, although after the 3-day i3 test drive my wife wants one. She still talks about it. But I think the reliability issues would annoy us. Motor mounts, REx engine issues, Battery range issues, weird computer issues, (Drivetrain malfunction) ACC (automatic braking) issues, Front and back glass breakage issues (Windshield prone to damage, back glass shatters in a rear-end collision) Tire issues (no run flats on a BMW!) Also the car gets tossed around in high winds. The B-Class is so solid.

The rear glass is a head scratcher. It's built from the ground up to be strong and light, but the entire back is made up of heavy and fragile glass. In the 2016 Miata, they drilled holes in the glass where you can't see, just to save nanograms of weight.

Here's another interesting tidbit. While the MB charges at about 10kW and the BMW is 7.6kW, the BMW actually slows down the charger when its near full. This must be a way to help save the battery life or something.

Capture-JB-i3.PNG

BMW i3 charging

Capture-JB-MB.PNG

MB BEV charging

Thanks for the comparisons. I liked the drive of the i3 but not the rear seating with kids. I didn't even think about how the doors opening would affect things.

Ferdball said:
Your kids have clearly practiced. A while back I my wife and I watched 4 (drunk) guys try to get out of the i3 in a tight spot between two cars before a soccer game. It took them nearly 10 min. It was like the 3-Stooges with profane language...screaming, yelling, swearing, banging, "No you go. Hold it that won't work. Damn! Maybe you go out first...No? Jeff are there directions?".

Next time I see an i3 park between cars I'll be sure to have my camera ready.

Back