2017 Ford Focus Electric (FFE)

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffRay

I looked at this car as it has similar range to the 2017 B250e at a fraction of the cost. Their current deal is very little down and a 36 month lease rate of sub-$200. They come fully loaded. Like our B250e, Ford took an existing platform, their Focus, and wedged in a battery and electric motor. So I liked it looked like a small sedan and not a sub-compact. Nevertheless for reasons explained on another post, I found our B250e better for my family than the FFE. But it came in a close second because of its features and very attractive price.

When I was shopping for a used EV, the FFE was a contender for me - mostly because nearly new, fully-loaded ones were going for ~$13,000. If Ford had done a better job packaging the battery, we may have bought it. We drive around with our dog in her crate, and being able to put the kennel in back behind the rear seats (without folding them down) is important to us. The FFE is a good car but felt cheap when compared to the B250e.

The FFE doesn't really have a cargo area. What it is would be better described as the battery compartment. When the FFE was making it's rounds on the car show circuit, the trunks were locked and the cargo covers were pulled for a reason. I think Ford may have sold a LOT more FFE's if they engineered the battery into the floor (if that was possible) but their goal was never to sell very many of them. The same could be said for the Mercedes EV as both the FFE and B250e are textbook compliance cars, but the Mercedes is at least a more practical overall package.

I think there's a lot of guys that make a lot of sacrifices to save a buck but (at least for us), spending that extra $10K for the Mercedes was a no-brainer. A year later, used 2014 B250e's are still going for about what I paid for mine. Can't say the same for the Ford.

Oilerlord,

Sorry to hear about upcoming cold weather blues. Yes, I have started to figure out what I might get now that I have the range plus option which I use whenever possible. My experience was I had to recharge twice a week to do my work commute. I don't think 20% more changes that equation for me. Plus I changed work places and have not found a place to charge while I am at work.

As to the FFE, I noticed the battery too in the boot. Not an issue for me as long as it fit my golf clubs there or in the back seat. I usually collect junk in my boots in any case. I backed off despite the great deals currently as the rear was not nearly as roomy as the B250e and my daughters are only getting bigger.

Back