Hybrid/EV owners are trading to SUVs...

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomt

Car buyers are trading in hybrid and electric cars for SUVs at a higher rate than ever before, according to a new analysis from car-buying platform Edmunds.com. The analysis offers a surprising look at how today's gas prices are drawing hybrid and EV owners toward gas-guzzling vehicles at a much more accelerated pace than in recent years.

http://www.edmunds.com/about/press/hybr ... dscom.html

Tom,

For sure. We all have seen the swings based on gas prices through the years. If you ever visit Italy, most of the cars you see are the subcompact variety with the big cars being the mid-sized E class or BMW 5s. The top folks might have a car and driver with the larger cars. With the taxes they levy on top of oil prices, this crimps demand for larger cars. In the US, we have a desire for larger more spacious cars for larger families and more stuff, the gas taxes are low, and the highway system is extensive.

As for me, in an urban setting, it is a true luxury to even own a car. The MB Be is perfect for local runs and easier to park on the street. I could not imagine any good reason for me to upgrade to a GL class unless I was one of those who go every weekend to their Hamptons beach house and have to schlep their families, nannies, and gear.

Back