Daimler CEO pretty much says BMW spent too much on i3

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus

According to Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche, "Nobody today is making a battery-powered vehicle that's economically viable in its own right. Manufacturers will not see a return within a reasonable time on the billions they’re investing now."

He then went on to say
"Despite the purpose-built design of BMW’s i3, its range, performance and interior space are very similar to those of the B class," Zetsche said. “But our effort was dramatically smaller."

Full article:
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...s-puts-tesla-tech-under-the-hood-to-chase-bmw

"our effort was dramatically smaller"

seems this dogma would explain the poor implementation of the my mercedes electric web/app and the complete oversight of providing scheduled charge timing

Dieter should invest considerably more effort (not necessarily money) to bring the software of the BED up to snuff. I doubt he's actually tried using the app or is aware the team omited a basic function like delayed or scheduled charging...

The key word that I read is, "today". For certain applications, I don't see why electric cars cannot continue to gain customers and ultimately make it profitable for some. For me, it has been okay since I acquired it 49 days ago, albeit I have only driven it less than half those days. I guess I have yet to drive it enough to hit the app wall that you are referring to. I also dislike it when companies roll out untested versions of software to its loyal customers. OK to lease a limited range vehicle but don't bug me with things that don't work.

Back