Toyota recalls Tesla parts in RAV4 EV

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferdball

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150312/OEM11/150319956

A software flaw in the RAV4 EV’s propulsion system may cause the vehicle to shift into neutral and result in a complete loss of driving power, increasing the risk of a crash, according to a statement posted on Toyota’s U.S. website on Wednesday. Tesla supplied the component that Toyota dealers will repair, Cindy Knight, a Toyota spokeswoman, wrote in an e-mail.

Hard to say for sure, because I think the members here are only a small percentage of B Class owners. But its a well known issue on the Rav.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1300

Random thoughts...
I read the news story with great interest as the players eye the spin platform...
Here is the actual recall notice language from Toyota at http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+recall+camry+highlander+rav4+march11.htm --

In the involved RAV4 EV, components in the Electric Vehicle Traction Motor Assembly, which is part of the propulsion system, may cause the vehicle to shift to “neutral” due to a software issue. This condition will also trigger a “Check EV System” warning message on the instrument panel and turn on a malfunction indicator lamp. If the vehicle shifts to “neutral”, this will result in a complete loss of drive power, which can increase the risk of a crash.

My question is who designed the software? in the end, while arguably this should have been caught in the Toyota QC process if it's that problematic, software glitches are and should be expected - it's just harder to deal with at 70 mph on the 405 (if you can ever get that speed down there any more). Makes me wonder what failsafes Tesla and MB (or any other mfg) put into their drive software.

Z

Had this happen to me twice in my electric Focus. They eventually recalled them about 18 months in. Was fun to lose power at 80 in the left lane.

Pretty scary, even if i never get above 50 locally. Has anyone asked Mercedes about this?

I can confirm that this in fact an issue on the B-Class ED. My wife was cruising on the freeway in her 2014 B-Class ED and the car jolted like she'd struck something, then went into Neutral. The car rolled to a stop in the middle of 85. A restart solved loss of power issue, but that was of little consolation as cars whizzed by her as she sat idle in the middle of the freeway trying to figure out what to do. This was after we updated our software to solve for the "Do Not Shift Gears" message we got, so that update won't resolve this issue. Also, I scoured the forum and found another post from a 2015 B Class EV owner who had a similar loss of power issue. So it's not confined to the 2014 year model. He too did a firmware update on his car before his incident.

http://www.mybclasselectricdrive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=362&p=2761#p2761

I suspect that the when Tesla updates the firmware for the Toyota RAV4 EV, there will be a miraculous "mandatory" update for the Mercedes.

We just got our 2015 B Class at the end of June and it is at the dealer right for the same issue. The car only has 400 miles on it and it has happened twice. There were no jolts but you are just driving along and the car goes to neutral. You cannot do anything until it comes to a complete stop. The second time it happened, the wife was in the fast lane on the freeway during commute traffic. The dealership has ordered a new powertrain control unit. We will see if this solves the problem. Will keep you updated.

TonyWilliams said:
I suspect that the when Tesla updates the firmware for the Toyota RAV4 EV, there will be a miraculous "mandatory" update for the Mercedes.
If the shift-to-neutral problem was due to a faulty speed sensor, how could they fix it with just a firmware update? Wouldn't they have completed the recall already if it was just firmware?

Why do you think Toyota/Tesla don't yet have a fix for the RAV EV recall? What are the possible reasons for the delay?

Simonb said:
We just got our 2015 B Class at the end of June ... The dealership has ordered a new powertrain control unit. We will see if this solves the problem. Will keep you updated.
What's a powertrain control unit? You mean a new motor?

tom said:
TonyWilliams said:
If the shift-to-neutral problem was due to a faulty speed sensor, how could they fix it with just a firmware update? Wouldn't they have completed the recall already if it was just firmware?

Why do you think Toyota/Tesla don't yet have a fix for the RAV EV recall? What are the possible reasons for the delay?

Changing firmware is serious business. It needs to be thoroughly vetted, and the government has to agree that this fixes the issue.

Toyota / Tesla (and in the future Daimler / Mercedes) will want to do this as cheap as possible.

So, I can imagine just writing software that ignores the speed sensor (that way they don't have to change the actual faulty part that costs money).

Anyhoo, this is an old problem. It's happened to me, and they put in a new motor assembly (which is how they fix the actual physical speed sensor). The firmware will come eventually.

To help facilitate a future recall for the Tesla powered Mercedes Benz B-Class ED, make a report here if your car experienced going into neutral and loss of propulsion power while driving:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

You can also phone the Vehicle Safety Hotline: 1-888-327-4236 / Hearing Impaired (TTY): 1-800-424-9153) for assistance. Form Approved: OMB No. 2127-0008; Expires 05/31/2018

You might mention in the report that this appears to be the same issue shared with the Tesla drivetrain in the 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV "loss of speed sensor signal causes vehicle to go into neutral and lose propulsion power".

Summary of the problem of the tolerances on the speed sensor being greater than the software is happy with:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM474877/RCORRD-15V143-3968.pdf

Back