Mercedes B-Class ED Set To Get Range Bump...

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GGV

http://insideevs.com/mercedes-b-class-ed-set-bump-range-300-miles-report/

Quote:
...Mercedes-Benz brand intends to bump the B-Class Electric Drive’s range up to 310 miles (500 km), while also removing the Tesla drivetrain from the equation, and instead opting to build it in house for the next generation.

GGV said:
http://insideevs.com/mercedes-b-class-ed-set-bump-range-300-miles-report/

Quote:
...Mercedes-Benz brand intends to bump the B-Class Electric Drive’s range up to 310 miles (500 km), while also removing the Tesla drivetrain from the equation, and instead opting to build it in house for the next generation.
Before anyone gets too excited, that 310mi is by the European standard, quoting the last paragraph in the article:

The current B-Class Electric Drive (with extended range added in) is touted at 230 km (143 miles) by the company in Europe; so in this case – a 500 km/310 mile projection for the next generation of B-Class ED would translate to an apples-to-apples comparison of about ~360 km/225 miles. Still pretty decent.

So it is a little more than double the range vs the current 104mi, not a near tripling.

OF course this improved B-Class would be an amazing choice, in a mid-price product (not an E-Lux $100k car). All Mercedes has to do it develop their own battery system with cooling and safety built in, their own Electric drive motors, and "Gateway" software for driving, all within a coupe of years. That's a lot of R&D. It's a lot easier to write a press release than it is to execute and deliver a product to the marketplace.

My lease is not up till December 2017 but am already paying attention to generation 2.0 electrics and especially range and price point. Any further insights on what MB is up to? All things being the same, I am ready to re-up with another B-class for longer legs. 225 sounds better than the 85 the 2014 wo RE gets.

Saw the Ford Bolt or Volt, can't remember but it looks smaller despite them saying D interior in a B body. I hate car tech speak.

Keep up the chatter folks.

I'm also up for a new EV in December 2017. About a year from now I may be getting the BMW i3 Rex (2017 model) with 50% better battery (90-150 mile electric range? ) and of course the gasoline range-extending generator. That would be my wife's car, to replace her diesel wagon. If she hates it, or it is unreliable, I get to drive it after my B-Class ED goes back on lease return. The BMW i3 is extremely sporty and fun to drive, VERY LIGHT. Otherwise I would consider the Tesla Model 3, (used) Tesla Model S ? , 2nd generation (2018 Model Year) B-Class ED, and that's about it, unless Tesla re-worked the Model X without Falcon Wing Doors. But those Model S/X cars are $90,000 with all the good options. Maybe the Tesla Model 3 will spawn a variant that is an SUV/Wagon. But that could be 2020 or beyond. I would not consider a Chevy Bolt or Volt, even though they seem like good designs. It's a brand thing. Same with VW, I wouldn't buy one, although that Bulli EV concept looked amazing.
I'd like my next EV to have AWD. (Dual motors) -- I think eventually the best EVs will have 4 motors, one for each wheel. Less stress on each motor.

Funny I wrote those words in February of this year. I wouldn't consider an i3 anymore, I think the Model 3 is vaporware and not a hatchback so I'm no longer interested in it now that is is a sporty sedan, The top contenders to replace my 2014 B-Class when lease is up are the Chevy Bolt and the next generation Mercedes ELC all -electric all original design based on the GLC platform.

Another article:
Plug-In Mercedes-Benz A-Class In Development
http://insideevs.com/plug-mercedes-benz-class-development/

Back