Car and Driver - BMW i3 vs. Mercedes B Class Electric.

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus

Car and Driver tested the BMW i3 (non Rex) versus the B-Class Electric Drive, and according to them, the BMW i3 won.

The 2 vehicles were basically evenly matched in the performance categories, but in the subjective 'fun to drive' rating, the BMW won out. According to Car and Driver, the BMW is more fun to drive, but the Mercedes is more luxurious and livable. Typical in my opinion!

0-30
2.7 secs - i3
2.7 secs - B class

0-60
6.5 secs - i3
6.8 secs - B class

1/4 Mile
15.3 @ 86 mph - i3
15.4 @ 92mph - B class

Top Gear 50-70 mph
4.1 secs - i3
3.8 secs - B class

610 ft slalom
39.3 mph - i3
37.6 mph - B class

Curb Weight
2853 lbs - i3
3935 lbs - B class

IMAG0911.jpg

results.jpg

car-and-driver.jpg

No more than you'd expect, given C/D's emphasis and target audience. The data does indicate that the B-Class is a better car for routine day to day use, while the i3 is better (as you'd expect) for rat-racing for half an hour.

The first part of the results are very subjective, so I definitely found the second part of the graphs the most interesting (acceleration, handling results).

Yes, personally I care more about passing times than I do 0-60, and the B-class is equal or better there. The only area of performance where the M-B really falls short of the i3 is stopping distance, although I'm sure the i3 feels more fun to toss around. But the lower M-B noise numbers are quite valuable for daily driving, plus its better utility (and the one tested didn't have the extended range option). They really need to add a QC option soonest.

GRA said:
Yes, personally I care more about passing times than I do 0-60, and the B-class is equal or better there. The only area of performance where the M-B really falls short of the i3 is stopping distance, although I'm sure the i3 feels more fun to toss around. But the lower M-B noise numbers are quite valuable for daily driving, plus its better utility (and the one tested didn't have the extended range option). They really need to add a QC option soonest.
I was impressed at the 50-70 acceleration when I test drove the B-Class. It's nice to have that zip when you need it in traffic.

Two years ago I would have agreed with you that the lack of QC is a non-starter. But after nearly 3 years driving my LEAF (with a QC), I'm not sure how big an issue it really is. QC for me is either for trips or a quick top-off to go somewhere unplanned. If you are going to use the B-Class or LEAF for long trips I think you've got the wrong car. Those cars, and EVs in general, are optimal city cars, for stop and go traffic, lots of short trips with no penalty for driving without 'warming up the car'. Using an EV for distance travel just doesn't make sense until battery density at least doubles since I'm always lugging extra weight around for that the opportunity to go farther (that I very rarely need). Stopping every hour to QC is tough on the battery and really is only for people with time to spend when they travel. If I need to go distance I'll rent or borrow an ICE, the LEAF and B-Class cannot (and I believe should not try to) compete with the Tesla for distance travel.

For the QC top-off, well QC made sense in my LEAF with it's 3.3kW on board charger, but the 7.2kW charger in the B-Class I think will be fast enough for those situations when I need an extra couple of miles.

So basically I believe that if one holds their EV to the right expectations, a daily commuter car for their Metro area, and not a car to take on a ski trip or vacation, I believe they can live without a QC.

I've had my Leaf with QC for 3 1/2 years and would never buy an EV without QC...

First, most commercial chargers run off of 208 volts because of the way that 3 phase power is distributed, and are limited to 30 amps. Thus, you are limited to about a maximum of 6.2Kw input to the vehicle's charger.

Second, 95% of my charging is done at home but when I am out and needing a little extra range, I simply find the time necessary to wait at a L2 (assuming I can even find one that is open) to be excessive. I always seek out a QC and about 90% of my away from home charging has been via QC... Once you get used to the convenience and speed, it is hard to go back.

padamson1 said:
So basically I believe that if one holds their EV to the right expectations, a daily commuter car for their Metro area, and not a car to take on a ski trip or vacation, I believe they can live without a QC.

tomt said:
...Second, 95% of my charging is done at home but when I am out and needing a little extra range, I simply find the time necessary to wait at a L2 (assuming I can even find one that is open) to be excessive.
Since I have L2s near my work and crappy QC's in my area (see below) it's just the opposite for me. I almost always can plug-in and leave it for an hour or two.
tomt said:
I always seek out a QC and about 90% of my away from home charging has been via QC...
Since most of the QC EVSEs in this area are BLinks, my QC experiences have not been good. They are usually not functioning (the broken handle problem has been fixed but the touchscreen SW still crashes a lot) and I NEVER get the charge level that I request, the charge always stops at least 1-2 bars short of 60% or 80%. I've heard the A/V QCs are better, but I haven't seen one in action yet.
tomt said:
Once you get used to the convenience and speed, it is hard to go back.
I guess that comes back to expectations. I've adapted to planning ahead and operating within the limits of my EV, so I can live without the convenience of a QC. It's not like I don't realize that others like it (or rely on it), I just think that with 6.6kW+ charging there are plenty of people like myself who can live fine without it.

The majority of the QCs I use are the AV EV50 and they are rock solid and reliable. They will charge to 100% if you let them... I love watching the charge start at 50Kw if my SOC is low enough...

padamson1 said:
I've heard the A/V QCs are better, but I haven't seen one in action yet.

Back