Real world range test

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVdriver

The dealer was concerned their car would have a lot of added miles
on a new car. I told them if it went 85 miles at 65 miles an hour I
would buy it.

With 100% SOC in the MB I proceeded to the Freeway maintained
65 miles an hour and returned with 84 miles and 11 miles
of range still showing. It was very close to 1% a mile.

This MB did not have the range option.

Tried this test several times with a 2011 Leaf that I just
sold after three years with a low 17,000 miles of range.
The Leaf had all it's bars and charged to 100 dash miles.
However at 65 MPH the Leaf range was 65 miles. All lights
flashing and a number of warnings of very low battery.

I have been driving all electric for over 12 years. The bulk of
my 150,000 EV miles were in these EVs 1998 S10 EV, 2000 Ranger,
2002 RAV4 EV I still own all. This is not to brag but just to
show I am not new to driving electric or OEM EVs.

I am very impressed with the MB range test and the over all quality.
The only problem I had was trying to find white locally. I also wanted
the range option but the nearest white with the range option was 800
miles away. Some of the dealers were stuck on MSRP. A few would
take 1000 off MSRP but then try to raise the lease money factor.
They will change the money factor but you have to be firm.

Did you check the speedometer calibration as a couple of miles an hour error can make a significant difference...

EVdriver said:

Subject: Real world range test

tomt said:
Did you check the speedometer calibration as a couple of miles an hour error can make a significant difference...

EVdriver said:

I did not check the speedometer, but the miles traveled were
correct, which means the speedometer is correct. If your speedometer is off your miles traveled will also be incorrect.

Trucks here are limited to 55 but they all go at least 60 to 63.
I was passing every truck on the road. When passing trucks I did speed up to 70 or 72 to get out of the way when ICE cars were behind me. So at times I was actually going faster then 65
and accelerating at high speeds which is a heavy load. There was
a few short times I was stuck behind a truck or trucks until I could move over. These were few but I did notice slowing down to around
60 to 62 was a significant drop in load.

Also I forgot to point out this was on a dry 70 degree day with no
wind and no other loads like AC or windows down.

By the way I have a lot of experience testing real range in EVs.
Having replaced many packs mostly in the OEM S-10 EV and RAV4EV
for other EV owners.

The Leaf was a shop loaner and had 17,000 miles when sold not
range. I tried testing the range of the Leaf many times at 65 MPH
it never did better then 65 miles. This was under the same driving conditions as the MB no other loads.

The miles in town are always far better then the freeway.

Your best range will be at 30 miles an hour with no stopping. If you use regen it is less efficient then coasting. On a RAV for example I could go over 100 miles in town at speeds under 40. The same EV would only reach about 78 miles at 60 MPH.

Actually, with electronic speedometers and odometers these days, that is not necessarily true. Once can be fast and the other dead-on... A case in point is the Leaf: You can change the speedometer calibration (which is almost always fast) in the diagnostics menu but it does not change the odometer calibration (which is almost always dead-on)... These days, each must be independently verified for accuracy...

EVdriver said:
I did not check the speedometer, but the miles traveled were
correct, which means the speedometer is correct. If your speedometer is off your miles traveled will also be incorrect.

That makes three reports of excellent range. Just under 100 w/o Range Plus, and about 120 with. I am glad they don't need to calibrate known distances.

The LEAF with reduced range is very common, unfortunately. It's also easy to test before driving with inexpensive devices readily available.

LEAF Range Test links:

Planning for September 15, 2012 range test in Phoenix

Phoenix Range Test, Sept 15, 2012

LEAF-S San Diego Range Test on Feb 22, 2013

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=273048#p273048
Nissan LEAF Side by Side Range Comparison, 2012 vs 2013, March 8, 2013

The following is range at 65mph (100km ground speed verified by timers and GPS) on dry, hard surface level road with no wind or cabin climate control with new condition battery at 70F, battery capacity is "useable" amount, not advertised amount. Ranges are at maximum available charge and EPA rating is the maximum published.

Nissan
LEAF - 4 miles per kWh (250 wattHours per mile) * 21.3kWh = 85.2 miles / EPA 84

GM / Chevrolet
Spark EV - 5 miles per kWh (200 wattHours per mile) * 19kWh = 95 miles / EPA 82

Mercedes
B-Class ED - 3.8*** miles per kWh (263 wattHours per mile) * 31.5kWh = 120 miles / EPA 104

Toyota
Rav4 EV - 3.4 miles per kWh (295 wattHours per mile) * 41.8kWh = 142 miles / EPA 113

*** Mercedes does some goofy BS with the economy meter... it's calibrated "from the wall", so 3.8 miles per kWh will show 3.2 on the dash

Just read this forum. Picked up a new B EV here in RI a couple of weeks ago. My concern is I have never seen more than 71 range after full 240v charge. I'm surprised to see these 85 miles reports with 11 miles left over. I'm sure it is my lack of experience with it however, I am concerned about the range anxiety. I do not have the range extender. I am told this system is not meant for everyday extending. There is talk that if it is over used, like more than once in a very great while, you will not be covered by warranty. On a positive note, I love the car so far. The instant torque makes highway entry fun and of course it's a blast not having to stop for gas. Anyone install a 240 v Keba or Clipper Creek?

So Saturday, I travelled 32 miles on a 91% charge one way. My range indicator scared the crap out of me when I got back in for my return trip. It said I had 33 miles left. My return trip was 32. Talk about range anxiety. Anyway, I made it back with 16% remaining and 13 miles on my range gauge. As I stated earlier, I'm new to this and trying to understand the recup system. Anyone have opinion on D Auto-D+-D and D-?

GaryGMBenz said:
...new to this and trying to understand the recup system. Anyone have opinion on D Auto-D+-D and D-?

D+ is best for taking advantage of downhill inclines, short or long, to maximize use of potential energy. You'll notice that it's use will greatly improve your ECO score for coasting. In this mode, you get zero recuperation, without having to use your foot to feather the accelerator pedal. (Recuperation isn't perfectly efficient, so you're better off coasting when you can.)

The GOM on the RAV4EV is extremely conservative. I have about 23k miles on my RAV4EV. I can't recall a single time when my range was less than the GOM. In fact, I typically exceed the GOM by at least 20%. Since the Tesla parts on the MB EV and the RAV4EV are pretty much the same I would expect you will have the same results.

The easiest way to check this is to note the GOM in the morning and take a lot of shorter trips during the day. At the end of the day compare miles traveled vs the GOM. Once you learn you're real range you'll find that the GOM is pretty much useless. We take our kids to a summer camp that is 60 miles from here. Round trip should be 120. At the start of that trip the GOM might say anything from 120 to 135. At the end of that trip the GOM usually is around 30.

Mike

mikegerard said:
The GOM on the RAV4EV is extremely conservative. I have about 23k miles on my RAV4EV. I can't recall a single time when my range was less than the GOM. In fact, I typically exceed the GOM by at least 20%. Since the Tesla parts on the MB EV and the RAV4EV are pretty much the same I would expect you will have the same results.

The easiest way to check this is to note the GOM in the morning and take a lot of shorter trips during the day. At the end of the day compare miles traveled vs the GOM. Once you learn you're real range you'll find that the GOM is pretty much useless. We take our kids to a summer camp that is 60 miles from here. Round trip should be 120. At the start of that trip the GOM might say anything from 120 to 135. At the end of that trip the GOM usually is around 30.

Mike

So, you regularly go 120 miles?

I've had the "Battery Discharged" warning at somewhere below 70 before. But the dealer just said that a tech drove it home and back for a total of about 107 miles. I don't get it. Even if we drive conservatively, the state of charge meter is below 1/4 after about 60 miles. So everything we have indicates that we only get about 70'ish miles of range, but then they are able to get 107 (with the heater).

Ferdball:

Are you a left foot braker? Just kidding (I hope).

I do almost no freeway driving and the GOM is indicating ~66 miles at 100% when I start out most days.
It jumps up to 80+ if I reset but quickly "learns" back down every time.
Again, no freeway, and lots of stop & go.

I'm looking for an opportunity to do a longer test involving freeway driving but haven't had an opportunity yet.

Sometimes when accelerating out of a corner, my wife yells "This isn't a peeling out car!"

But even with what I think is very efficient driving, within reason, I only get about 75 miles. I get 65 when I drive like a maniac, so maybe my max is 85? Maths.

Let's get out for two hours and do a 3 car range test. We could go to Otay for some authentic Mexican, then rush back to find a restroom. We could probably get a good 70 miler with that route. Or Irvine? Julian?

I definitely encourage you to do some range testing to see what your real world range is. I find the GOM useless. On Saturday I got in and it told me I have 72 miles. I just happened to have to go somewhere that was 36 miles away. It was 32 degrees outside and I drove with the heat on the whole time. The car also runs it's own heat to keep the battery warm. I drove on the highway and drove mostly between 65 and 77. At the end of the round trip and 72 miles of driving the GOM said I had 23 miles left...useless.

Tony Williams developed this for RAV4EVs. You can see that speed is a huge range killer. If I was driving closer to 55 I would have finished with 35 miles (or the GOM would have been off by 50%).
Rav4rangeChartVersion1100Capacity.jpg

mikegerard said:
At the end of the round trip and 72 miles of driving the GOM said I had 23 miles left...useless.
What do you think you really had left and what would you base that on? What did the percent remaining state?

mikegerard said:
I definitely encourage you to do some range testing to see what your real world range is. I find the GOM useless.
Look at this picture and tell me if its a guess.

IMG_0526.JPG

Also, if you look at Tony's graph, match up 70 MPH and 28kWh. It shows an estimate of less than 80 miles.

I guess it's possible that the GOM is more accurate on the B-Class. I've seen some posts here where it seems like people are getting less than the GOM for range. I was hoping to see people getting over 100 for real world range with careful driving (I was planning to buy one next year).

What type of heater does the B-Class use? The Rav4EV uses an electric heater which is really inefficient but is reflected in the GOM readings. Maybe the heater in the B-Class is pulling more energy than the GOM is expecting it to pull.

mikegerard said:
I guess it's possible that the GOM is more accurate on the B-Class. I've seen some posts here where it seems like people are getting less than the GOM for range. I was hoping to see people getting over 100 for real world range with careful driving (I was planning to buy one next year).

What type of heater does the B-Class use? The Rav4EV uses an electric heater which is really inefficient but is reflected in the GOM readings. Maybe the heater in the B-Class is pulling more energy than the GOM is expecting it to pull.

This car will absolutely go over 100 miles with the "extended" battery.

Obviously, 2.2 * 28 = 61.6 miles

How that happens (the 2.2), I don't know. That has to be some extreme around town driving. Or a tire is flat. Or it's snowing in San Diego. Honestly, I don't know.

The Mercedes uses a heat pump.

TonyWilliams said:
mikegerard said:

This car will absolutely go over 100 miles with the "extended" battery.

Obviously, 2.2 * 28 = 61.6 miles

How that happens (the 2.2), I don't know. That has to be some extreme around town driving. Or a tire is flat. Or it's snowing in San Diego. Honestly, I don't know.

The Mercedes uses a heat pump.
Tony, has the weather not been cooperating so that you can't do your standard range test, or have you just been busy?

I hadn't seen anything before about the B-class having a heat pump vs an electric coil heater. Where did that info come from?

Back