JeffRay

Calling all 2014-2015 owners

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:49 am

So I leased a loaded 2014 and turned it in with about 9K miles. It ended up in FL where it presumably is enjoying the temperate weather patterns (ex-hurricances).

For those of you who own a 2014 or a 2015, how is it going? How many miles have you got accumulated. We mainly see posts when members need help and occasionally hear from satisfied owners. Drop a reply when you get a chance.

Thanks and keep enjoying the ride.
Jeff in NYC
MB '06 E500W; MB '81 380SL
Retired: MB '17 B250e; MB '14 Be

cblankespoor

Re: Calling all 2014-2015 owners

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:48 pm

Hi JeffRay,

You are always good at replying to other posts, so I'm happy to return the favor. :)

I'm not entirely sure, but I may just be the only B-owner in the MItten state! :) I purchased an off-lease 2014 Cirrus White (fully load) with 12K miles in March 2018. My 3x/week roundtrip work commute is 64 miles, making the B an ideal EV for my particular situation.

I've had my car in for the annual battery check-up/desiccant change twice, and all I've done maintenance-wise is to buy a set of 4 snow tires (which I put on Metris takeoff steel rims). I've also swapped out the original 12V battery with a XS Power D4700.

Last week the odometer turned 26K. I've thoroughly enjoyed the ride AND the friendly wisdom of this forum.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I'm lucky enough to avoid the 40K motor drive/coolant failure issue others seem to have experienced with their B.

Curt
Michiganer
2014 B250e, Cirrus White
2006 Toyota Prius

JeffRay

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:05 am

Hey Curt,

Thanks so much for your reply. So I was wracking my brain, kindof, mitten state, mitten state. Was going to ask you but then saw your signature. You know, first time I have heard that description even though I have been to the Mitten state several times.

Good to hear that you can manage the 64 mile commute in the winter. You must be one of the lucky ones with an indoor garage with a charger to warm up the car before you head off into the winter chilly days to work.

Yep, fingers crossed that you are in the vast majority of cruising through the 40k barrier unscathed.
Jeff in NYC
MB '06 E500W; MB '81 380SL
Retired: MB '17 B250e; MB '14 Be

hallcp

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:22 am

In January I bought my 2014 from it's first owner with 22k miles. Now has almost 30,000 miles on it. Not much evidence of repairs by the previous owner, but I've had a fair amount done under the original and an extended warranty:

- Navigation went offline, dealer had to install fresh
- Rear struts
- Coolant pump failure
- Loose steering column
- Right side mirror mechanism replaced
- Noisy ventilation fan replaced

Local dealer in Cary, NC has been just super. About 3 months now with no issues. So really the jury is still out on Mercedes for me. I'm used to Toyotas and never had anything fail in much under 100k miles.

But the car has a solid feel, good handling, great visibility, great acceleration, really comfortable, etc. So I'm loving it nonetheless. I would say the average range is 85 miles on a full charge. I have seen as high as 105 indicated, and as low as 62 (really cold weather). So I would say battery degradation has been minimal.

Cardonman

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:36 pm

I m pretty happy with this car. I have close to 48,000 miles. Have gone through two sets of Michelin Run Flats. Had a drivers seat fuse go out. The “charge port” door actuator was replaced. The MB dealer broke the plastic battery cover tray underneath and they replaced it new for free. A left front suspension link was replaced all under warranty except for the tires. Replaced the windshield wipers and swapped out the break fluid last year. Lowest maintenance cost I’ve ever had from any car I’ve ever owned.

The NC DMV inspects cars annually. Its passed every muffler test with flying colors. (Have the paperwork to prove it. 😂 )

FordAnglia

Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:05 am

Cardonman wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:36 pm
The NC DMV inspects cars annually. Its passed every muffler test with flying colors. (Have the paperwork to prove it. )
Wow, that's a relief! I was wondering how my B250e would do in the mandatory California SMOG test next year... :D

Peter,
2017 B250e Jupiter Red

Cardonman

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:58 pm

Hello all!
Steering wheel started making strange clicking sounds yesterday. This seems so odd as you all know that the car is almost silent. It didn’t seem to bother anything but it became even more annoying. While leaving a parking lot I turned the wheel and heard a snap sound. The battery was a little low so the regen quit working. (I remember it working just fine before even with the battery at less than 25 miles.) Might have to go to the dealer to see what they find. Everything else is working fine. Has anyone had a similar experience? What did you find out? Repair solutions?

Cardonman

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:01 pm

Hello all!
Steering wheel started making strange clicking sounds yesterday. This seems so odd as you all know that the car is almost silent. It didn’t seem to bother anything but it became even more annoying. While leaving a parking lot I turned the wheel and heard a snap sound. The battery was a little low so the regen quit working. (I remember it working just fine before even with the battery at less than 25 miles.) Might have to go to the dealer to see what they find. Everything else is working fine. Has anyone had a similar experience? What did you find out? Repair solutions?

Now it seems I can’t access or change the speedometer display. The back arrow isn’t working or the ok button. Strange..,

FordAnglia

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:37 am

Cardonman wrote:
Hello all!
Steering wheel started making strange clicking sounds yesterday. This seems so odd as you all know that the car is almost silent.
Indeed! So quiet "normal" and otherwise unnoticed sounds get my attention.
Cardonman wrote:
It didn’t seem to bother anything but it became even more annoying. While leaving a parking lot I turned the wheel and heard a snap sound.
On my previous ICE vehicle (2005 Nissan Murano] I had a similar problem. This was caused by a broken "clock spring" in the steering wheel.
Electrical signals for the buttons and stalk switches pass through a ribbon cable that winds and unwinds as the wheel is turned. Hence the name.
If it binds or flexes and the wires/printed traces fail the switches also fail. On some vehicles the multiple switches are digitally sent over a single wire, much like an ethernet or USB connection. So one broken wire kills most or all of the switches.

The "clock spring" is easy to replace, and not too expensive. I got an NOS one from eBay, but had to go to the mechanic as I don't have the right tool to remove the air bag in the steering wheel hub. Best not to mess with those...

Peter,
2017 B250e Jupiter Red

Cardonman

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:49 pm

Peter:
Thank you for your insight. I had it checked today ($150) and you are right!! It is a spring/ring behind the airbag. For another $600 (part/labour) they’ll fix it for me once they get the part.

They had done the Takata recall back in February this year to add an extra ground wire and a contact ring. They claim that it’s simple “wear and tear”. Hmmm!!! I think that’s it for me. Going to the Model 3.

My $.02,
C

Return to “B-Class Electric Drive Reviews”