'Gas' tank door cover and hardware

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comanchepilot

I'm looking at the cheapness of the electric fueling door - and the fact that already [2 months old] the door is starting to require a lot of force to open.

I'd be willing to bet that MB used the standard fuel door on the E version of the B class - I dunno about you, but in the case of the fuel door in a gas driven vehicle it gets used maybe once a week - thats 150 times over the course of a 3 year lease. With an electric car used for commutation in California for the car pool lane access, it is likely to be opened 2x a day - which 10x the use which equates to 1550 times over a 3 year term - I don't think its gonna last - the fuel door mechanism is pretty flimsy.

It reminds of the initial clutch used in the Mini Countryman - the same clutch as the other Minis - in a car that weighs 1000# more - it just did not hold up.

I bet everyone is going to see the fuel door mechanism failing after a year or so of daily driving.

CP, I agree with you in that it is clear to me they did the least possible modification of the standard gas model. Wonder if it is covered by the warranty or wear and tear insurance.

Back