oilerlord

Re: B250 Owner's reliability experiences

Sun May 22, 2016 9:36 am

From the research and other owner's experiences I've read, I'm prepared to accept the quirks and compromises that come with this car...as long as it stays reliable over the long term.

In your experience with the car, what regen mode do you usually drive in (D+, D, or D-)? Also, when you touch the brake pedal, doesn't regen already happen on it's own regardless of the mode you choose? I suppose the various D modes are really more like "coasting" modes. I believe regen has it's purpose though you never recover anywhere near the energy it took to get the vehicle up to speed with regenerative braking. In my experience, coasting preserves momentum so I'd probably use the D+ mode all the time assuming that when I touch the brakes, regen still applies. Please clarify this when you have a moment.

JeffRay

Sun May 22, 2016 10:04 am

Hi, as I mostly do stop and go in an urban environment, I just keep it in Auto mode. To go back to shifting to start and stop is too much work for this fella. No question the less you touch the brake the more juice you recover. Other folks have estimated what they save by not using Auto but for me, not worth it as I have enough to get by with a weekly charge in warm weather and have to charge twice a week in cold weather. There are those that have longer work commutes who really know how to maximize their mileage.
Jeff in NYC
MB '06 E500W; MB '81 380SL
Retired: MB '17 B250e; MB '14 Be

oilerlord

Sun May 22, 2016 11:01 am

You're right of course...hypermiling / preserving momentum to get an extra 10 miles of range for the 20 cents in electricity I'd be saving - isn't worth the trouble. Do you think the constant regen may shorten the overall life of the battery? I'm thinking that over the years that the thousands of times over the you lift off the throttle, and charge the battery may actually cause extra wear. I'm sure that I'm overthinking this but just curious.

wtzouris

Sun May 22, 2016 11:59 am

I use D-Auto and very gentle accelerator / braking when I am hyper-miling and D- for city driving, bumper to bumper, and sporty driving. I like the feeling of instant regeneration on curves and highway off ramps, and even when approaching a red light. So I might be in D-Auto and then tap to D- when I see a slow down, and then pull and hold the paddle to get back to D-Auto. All the modes give you about the same efficiency, it really depends on how you drive. Hot weather is the most important factor to good range. 70 degrees or hotter. 100+ mile range.

oilerlord

Mon May 23, 2016 9:29 am

Another question, Does the car have a skidplate that covers the entire bottom of the car? I'm guessing it does if not only for aerodynamics. Our winters and spring thaws get pretty messy and a lot of gunk would collect under the car if it isn't covered / protected from the elements. I'm surprised that they didn't put a shroud in the motor compartment for the same reason. Perhaps the motor would get too hot if they covered it up.

JeffRay

Mon May 23, 2016 4:20 pm

I don't know what a skid plate is but there is a large battery on the bottom of your car but I have never looked. Doubt it though.
Jeff in NYC

oilerlord

Tue May 24, 2016 8:55 am

Yeah, I sort of figured out there is a large battery on the bottom of the car on my own :)

Tesla's come with a plate that protects the battery from damage & the elements:

Was just wondering if the B has a similar plate protecting the underside of the car. I'm assuming there is one, just looking for someone to confirm this. Thanks.

JeffRay

Tue May 24, 2016 9:08 am

For what it is worth, I watched the YouTube video again of the production line. The battery goes on top of a metal plate so it may be the skid plate you are referring to. However, the plate only covers the battery, not anything else. Go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDJSpMLxRxU. Very interesting video.
Jeff in NYC

oilerlord

Tue May 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Watched that video a few weeks ago...it's pretty cool how these cars go together. Tesla increased the thickness of the skid plate on the Model S due to a much-publicized fire that was caused by the battery getting ruptured. I like how Tesla (and other manufacturers) are starting to install protective covers that run the entire underside length of the car. Not only does it keep everything clean, but also improves aerodynamics, and reduces road noise. Not a big deal, but I had hoped that Mercedes did the same with the B250e. At least the precious battery is protected.

jetkit

Fri May 27, 2016 9:17 pm

I am in South Florida. I fully charge daily, and commute 87 miles 5 days/week. No issues so far.
This is on Florida highway speeds from 65 to 75 mph. I moved from a c300 and this is MUCH better. I had several S classes and still have a 2007 SL550. I can hands on compare the B class. This is a great car.

We also have a Nissan Leaf. Wife uses it for a 40 mile daily commute. Don't even compare.
The leaf is ok in city drive, but will not withstand the SF parkways for much long. I tried, and could not use it for my commute.

One thing I noted comparing the estimated range in the dashboard, the B is a lot more honest in predicting range. Neither the Nissan leaf or the Tesla (friends car, not mine) do a good job there.

I purchased it used, less than $23K, and was the best money I ever placed on a car.
Fingers crossed, if it holds, I will turn 100k miles on it in no time. That is over 4k gallons of gas I will not burn, and $12k in my pocket.

Return to “B-Class Electric Drive Reviews”