New to me

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KazeGo

Hello all. I’m looking to purchase a 2014 B class, 24k. I’m excited. Wanted a Nissan Leaf until I heard about the battery not performing as well. I just wanted to know if you guys were happy with the car overalll? Any regrets? How often do you take it in for maintenance? Are you turned away from MB dealerships for maintenance? I was turned away from a Indy MB certified shop when I asked if they maintenance?

Regards

K

I’ve been very happy with the car. No battery issues, though the range is pretty comparable to a first-generation LEAF. Not long range, and without quick charge capability, it’s really limited to being a commuter car. But it’s a very comfortable, solid, and peppy commuter car. My kids love the back seat.

I have run into issues getting my car serviced though, just like you fear. I live in North Carolina, so the car isn’t sold anywhere near me. Most dealers around here won’t service it either. My local dealer won’t even touch the standard non-electric stuff. I wound up having to get the car towed to a dealer about 150 miles away (in Tennessee) for routine service, which is a major inconvenience but at least MB is footing the bill. Fortunately, I’ve never needed anything other than the standard preventative maintenance - which is mostly just conditioning the battery.

Even though I’m thrilled with the car, I would have some reservations about getting it due to the lack of readily available service. What if something really serious happened? You might have to deal with a shop hundreds of miles away.

If you’re able to find a service arrangement you’re comfortable with and don’t plan on needing it for Tesla-style car trips (which are at least somewhat doable with a LEAF due to its quick-charge capability), then this would be a terrific car for you. If you live in a blue state where the car was sold new (it’s just been discontinued), then chances are your dealer will support you.

Kazego,

I leased the 2014, turned it in, then leased a 2017, and would consider buying it at the end of lease. With 2014, brought it in twice, once for routine maintenance and once for the software upgrade. You have to identify a dealer near you that will do the required maintenance. Not everyone will do what Electrons did which is unbelievable. All MB dealers have to get on it as electrics are in their near future.

If there is a reason the dealer won't, I am guessing that they can't because they did not send a couple of techs to be certified. The reality is that none of the dealers are qualified to do any major repairs to the motor and drive. All posts indicate they send the query to Germany who then gives them specific instructions and the parts needed. The rest of the car is the same, plug in read the computer and change out some stuff that some members here have done themselves.

I suppose that you can call the service department of the dealers in a 100 mile radius of where you are and inquire. Don't ask a salesperson, they aren't the most reliable.

Lovely car, my young girls also love the rear seat room, particularly since they aged out the back seat of the roadster. They are now old enough to ride in the front passenger seat of the roadster but there are two of them, so the B250e is a keeper for now.

Thank you all for your quick replies. I don't feel as nervous about my purchase. I'm coming out of a 2003 BMW and not to upset BMW fans but the car lived at the shop although I did ALL of the required maintenance per the Owners manual.

Regards,

K

I bought a '16 from CarMax of all places and love it. I've had a LEAF since late '11 and this has MUCH better real world range, especially if you use the Range extending charge (which I've only done twice). I only ever drive in sport mode and still see better range than I ever had in my LEAF. The B is much more powerful at all speeds than a LEAF and just a better EV, even better car. Having said that, the new LEAF is a MUCH better car than the original, but still lacks the general luxury of the Benz. I live in Texas and the B was never sold here, but I had no problems at all taking it to my local dealer for service. They didn't bat an eye, even gave me a loaner. I haven't had any problems with my B in the 6 months I've had it, though I may have them look my my AC condenser as it seems louder than it should be.

Back