in2insight

Next EV?

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:21 pm

In less than a year (10 months to be exact) my lease will be up and a new EV will be welcomed home.
The question is, of course, which one.
Was hoping that the Volvo XC40 electric would be out in time, but found out that it is two years away.
The MB C is too big, as are the I Pace and E-Tron.
Would love to have a higher car like the B, but options seem limited to Kia and co, and at the full tech package level, they only offer leather seating. (Vegan here, so no go on those)
Yes, I could purchase the B, but from what I have read here, seems like it means paying a higher price vs. purchasing used.

For those nearing the end of the lease, what is your next EV going to be?

Thanks!

JeffRay

Re: Next EV?

Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:12 am

in2insight,

In the same boat as you as my lease runs out in 11 months. I am going to see about the I-Pace. My next electric has to have 200 mile range and like our B250e, it has to be comfy for my two teenagers in the back seat. Not doing the Tesla thing, not even used. Push comes to shove, I can revert to my gas cars to bridge to the perfect electric. Right now, in the cold, I have to charge 2-3 times a week offsite as I dont live in a house with a garage. If I did, I would consider buying my B250e off lease so long as it remained trouble free for rest of lease.
Jeff in NYC
MB '17 B250e; MB '06 E500W; MB '81 380SL

Dracula

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:07 pm

One option is to wait for the upcoming EQC. I went for the GLE Hybrid, since I needed a family car and earlier in the year I drove a rental GLC Hybrid in Europe for 3000 km and loved it. I know, limited EV range :(

TonyWilliams

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:11 am

JeffRay wrote:Not doing the Tesla thing, not even used.
What is the “Tesla thing”?

JeffRay

Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Tony,

Ah, good question. Falling into the Tesla trance and taking on a car that is made well in certain regards but not so in other regards. It is fast and fun to drive but I am looking for a car that can last 10 years plus. Maybe they will and maybe not. Time will tell.
Jeff in NYC

in2insight

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:56 am

Thank you for the kind answers.

The EQC may be too big a car for me.
The Kona is a wait and see what options they offer.

Happy holidays to you all.

GlennD

Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:54 pm

I really do not think it will ever happen but I want a base Tesla 3 with only the color option for 37K. That is 35K plus 2K for the color.
2014 Cirrus White B Class (Totaled).
2016 Urano Gray eGolf.
I loved the VW but it was too hard to get into for my aged body.
I am back to another 2017 Cirrus White B250e.
Blind Spot Assist, Performance 3 and Sahara Beige interier.

JeffRay

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:48 pm

Electrons,

This was the last next EV thread. My lease runs out in November and I am turning mine in. Timing off so I may have to sit without and put miles on my ICE cars until something strikes me.

I will look at:

- MB new car but I think it will be expensive, like $75K
- Jaguar iPace. also pricey
- Audi eTron
- Kia
Jeff in NYC

GlennD

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:40 pm

I am looking at the Hydindi Kono EV. A dealer in tiustin should have a demo in a week. Deliveries in late April . I just might get on the list. It is a small car that looks to be good for me.
2014 Cirrus White B Class (Totaled).
2016 Urano Gray eGolf.
I loved the VW but it was too hard to get into for my aged body.
I am back to another 2017 Cirrus White B250e.
Blind Spot Assist, Performance 3 and Sahara Beige interier.

Electrons

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:31 am

My B-class lease ends in 8 months. I can’t go back to a gas burner, just can’t, so I’m going to have to find an EV replacement (the RX hybrid is my wife’s). I would be interested in either the Kia Niro EV or Hyundai Kona EV. Surprise, surprise - neither will be offered in North Carolina (I emailed both Kia and Hyundai to confirm).

I bought my B-class (both times) from a dealership in Maryland, who shipped it to my front door here in NC for free. Getting my car serviced and supported has been a nightmare. The car itself has been a dream except for the short range. For the first couple of years it was a fun game to see how I could make charging work for short trips. Now, driving anywhere outside of my metro area, in the mountains of NC, especially in winter, has been majorly limited by range. The bigger complaint is the utter refusal of any MB dealer within a couple hundred miles to even look at my car. I will never again buy a car that I can’t get serviced in my state.

So for the time being, when my lease runs out later this year, my only options look to be the BMW i3, the Nissan LEAF, the Chevy Bolt, and Tesla - the only EVs that are sold (and supported!) universally.

- The BMW is fun to drive, but suffers from the same range limitations as the B-class, and more importantly the back seat is not practical for my kids’ car seats
- The Bolt is a good option, but having driven one a bit, the seat is just torture and not worth it. Also the rest of the car feels cheap and like anything could break at any time.
- Tesla Model 3 is a decent choice, but still out of my price range (unless I could get a killer lease deal some day, like I did with my B)
- That pretty much leaves me with a LEAF. I’m not that excited about the car but it does check all the boxes for now, until more options become available in my state or my finances improve enough to get a Tesla.

I love where I live. The city is beautiful, the mountain views are amazing, the people are great. But man it does suck living in a red state sometimes, especially when it comes to my choices in EVs.
2016 Mercedes B250e
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive (totaled)
2012 Lexus RX450h Hybrid
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid (sold)

Return to “Buying/Leasing the B-Class Electric Drive”