A 2017 with less than 100 miles?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuriousMBbuyer

Long time lurker looking for an answer. I export the occasional EV to the Caribbean islands and have had good fortune so far. Am I pushing it considering bringing a 2017 b250e never owned to Sint Maarten? There are EVs here, and yet no technicians. Four years ago, I brought my first one here and it still operates without fail. It's a Miev. Then I brought a few more of them. Another make I shipped in is a Spark EV this year.
I understand all cars have risk, but is the MB more a risk than another EV?
Is a used b250e less of a risk than an unowned one?
I'm assuming that the battery has been taken care of. But what should I have them check battery wise at the dealership? Thanks in advance.
PS: I do have moderate mechanical skill for dessicate replacement and such.

CuriousMBbuyer,

Electric cars have fewer moving parts so less ongoing maintenance required which you can do. However, on the freaky chance that the motor or battery craps out, then you will have to ship the car back to the mainland to service. Try to get one with a remaining warranty although know that the battery warranty is void if you can't get an authorized MB mechanic to run the annual test.

A new or almost new is a good bet although pricey.

A used one lowers the financial risk but absolutely take it to a MB dealer to check it out before shipping it home. A risk of motor or battery failure seems to increase a little.

Also, know that getting parts for fender benders and such is getting harder. My mechanic was able to get the front bumper and left headlamp pretty quickly a couple of months back but a recent break of the left rear lamp is awaiting shipment from Germany.

It is a cool car and having one on the island with the ability to charge it overnight seems like a perfect combo.

Jeffray is a veteran Mercedes owner, so he's used to them. In my experience they seem to require a lot of dealer attention. My Nav erased itself, Bluetooth audio disabled itself, steering column had a loose joint, rear-view mirror motor made noises and was replaced. This was all under warranty mind you, and nothing left me stranded. But if enough of your infotainment fails, you may not be happy with that.

As a long term Toyota owner, this would be unacceptable. I don't recall ever having an issue with my old Prius or Avalon Hybrid for the many years I had them. Now an older Avalon non-hybrid we had before.... yikes... so many recalls... so nobody's perfect.

Back