My poor B

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

Well in the morning of 9/11 a girl came from a stop sigh directly into the fast lane and in my blind spot.

The good thing is that I was scratched by probably the air bag holder but that's it. The car gave up its life to save mine.

ohhh man, that's a shame, sorry for you but glad you were not seriously injuried!

I've checked all crash-test results I could find for the B-class in the past and they were among the best I've seen,
driver safety was particularly top-rated, seems to be a really solidly built chassis.

This is something one would prefer to never test on his own

erwinsc said:
ohhh man, that's a shame, sorry for you but glad you were not seriously injuried!

I've checked all crash-test results I could find for the B-class in the past and they were among the best I've seen,
driver safety was particularly top-rated, seems to be a really solidly built chassis.

This is something one would prefer to never test on his own

Yes, I am impressed. The ambulance's people that passed by were amazed that I was basically OK.

That said, I will not drive a car with the crumple zone pulled out on a frame machine. It was engineered for a purpose. It either gets totaled or it sits for the remaining 14 months.

GlennD, glad you are aok. Sad to see the damage to the baby.

It looks like a total job as the battery is likely damaged. Press the insurance company as they may not know to check the battery pan.

Glad you are doing well.
The B Class held its own.
Let us know how the insurance company responds

Oh man GlennD so sorry but nobody is hurt so better this happen 10x over anybody getting hurt, right? Seems like you have the right attitude you are a great contributor maybe you will get a brand new 2016 or 2017 and tell us about the differences? It seems very unlikely this is repairable. OR maybe Mercedes has a 2015 or 2016 B250e loaner they can give you for the remainder of the lease?

Ferdball said:
That's definitely totaled. Glad you're okay.

I am sure hoping it is totaled. On 9-20 I leased an eGolf so if it is not then I will have two payments for 14 months. I WILL NOT DRIVE A REPAIRED FRAME DAMAGED CAR.

My Mercedes treated me well but money is tight right now and I can not afford Mercedes prices. I would have to get a replacement when property taxes are due.

The eGolf is very different. It has absolutely no creep and most EV's emulate an ICE.

Well, they finally totaled it so I will not have double payments. With everything it was around 26K and the payoff was 32K. Thanks for the included gap insurance. Good thing since I would not drive a car that had frame damage.

GlennD said:
Well, they finally totaled it so I will not have double payments. With everything it was around 26K and the payoff was 32K. Thanks for the included gap insurance. Good thing since I would not drive a car that had frame damage.

I was very happy with my B but I had the misfortune to wreck my B in property tax season. Instead I went to a fully loaded eGolf SEL. 1K down beats 6K down. So far I think I will be happy with it. It has all of the Mercedes bells and whistles in a slightly smaller package. So far after 560 miles I am averaging 4.3 miles per KPH. The power is enough but not like the detuned motor in the B. It is defiantly cheaper so far but the B was a deluxe car. The only thing lacking is the weather channels but I have them in my ham radio install. VW has copied most of the B's safety features.

Curious, was the gap insurance a separate fee when you bought the car, you mentioned it was "included". Also was the B-Class a purchase or a lease? Is gap insurance relevant in a lease? I've only purchase gap insurance for a Toyota in a purchase, and I was told afterwards it wasn't necessary since Toyota (Sienna) hold their value so well.

wtzouris said:
Curious, was the gap insurance a separate fee when you bought the car, you mentioned it was "included". Also was the B-Class a purchase or a lease? Is gap insurance relevant in a lease? I've only purchase gap insurance for a Toyota in a purchase, and I was told afterwards it wasn't necessary since Toyota (Sienna) hold their value so well.

Normally gap insurance is included in a lease so if the car is totaled the leasing company is made whole. On my purchased Tribeca I purchased it as an ad on. Really, I have never before used it and I do not want to use it again. There are many insurance companies out there willing to sell it to you. As I recall it was around $350 but that was a long time ago so I may be wrong. It makes the leasing or selling company whole but you are out any money you put down. I purchased it at the F&I office and I am sure it is cheaper elsewhere but I wanted it included.

Well, my B is officially gone. Today I signed it over to State Farm.

I wonder how long the paperwork will take. I have made 2 Lease payments and I have a prepaid B service. It would be nice to get some money back since the accident was on 9/11 and the lease money is due on the nineteenth.

I looked at the Golf but they wouldn't even discuss a better lease deal than their advertised "special" so I pay less for the B-Class and I am totally happy with it. Shortly after I got my B-Class VW had the emissions problems come out on their Diesels and probably would have been more apt to deal.

Mercedes sent out a post card offering a 3 year lease with 4K down and $329 per month. With property tax due on November 1 that was too rich for me. January or February fine but not right now. Plainly I did not time my accident and I need a car right now.

For me cars like the Bolt, Spark, Fit EV, Smart, and Fiat are just too small. I want at least a compact but not a full size car like the Tesla S. I could afford a base model but the size killed it for me. The VW works for me and so did the B. Except for the total lack of resale value I was happy with my Leaf. I guess if I wanted a status car I could have raided my 6 month stash of money but a new car is hardly an emergency.

There are more choices now and in the future German cars have promised more range. The current range works for my needs. I wanted a BEV, not a H2 car or a hybrid. In the rare event I need more range I can always rent a car from Enterprise.

Hey Glenn,

Sorry to hear about your car. I looked at other stuff too...Volt, Focus EV, Leaf, that was priced a lot less (used) but the B was the only logical choice. I did consider a Kia Soul EV but couldn't get past it's goofy styling, and it was actually priced higher than the B. At $23,000 for essentially a 1.5 year old car with 6,000 miles on it - it was a steal. One day, battery degradation will essentially total my car too. Not looking forward to that day.

Gap is included. If you look at the back of the lease form it spells out the details. My payoff is 32K and State Farm offered 24K. I signed the car over to State Farm a couple of weeks ago but so far I have not heard anything.

In 2014 I owned a Leaf and the only 2 cars I was interested in was an end of production RAV4 EV and the Mercedes B. Mercedes gave me a screaming deal on the B and I really liked the car. So far I am enjoying the eGolf. It was not available when I leased the B. I have no interest is a tiny car like the Fiat or the Spark. Compact is as small as I go. On the other hand a Tesla S is just too big!

It looks like Mercedes dickers. The payoff is now in the 27K region instead of the 24K region. The car had multimedia, back up camera, the range option and premium1. I think that all of the cars had premium1 and I guess that is what they accounted for. I got a call yesterday that they are sending new papers to sign.

Back