Which Model Year/Build Should I Buy, & Mountainous Terrain

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr250e

Greetings all --

I'm brand new user to this forum, although I've been reading the forums for some time and appreciate the insight that I've gained here. I'm presently interested in purchasing (not leasing) a used 250e. I'm presently a MB owner, although the 250e will be my first entree into the EV world. My current vehicle is loaded, which I quite enjoy, so I want to raise a couple of questions given that I live in the mountains and I am currently deciding between two different model years and builds:

1) Model Year: 2014
Mileage: Approx. 16,500
Build: Standard (nothing fancy about it whatsoever)
Title: Clean, one owner, no prior accidents, etc.
Condition: Excellent
Price: ~$24,000
What I don't like about this car: Black interior, lack of desired options.

2) Model Year: 2016
Mileage: Approx. 8,500
Build: Loaded! (has everything I could hope for ... paddles, heated seats, back-up camera, blind-spot assist, and more)
Title: Clean, one owner, no prior accidents, etc.
Price: ~$34,000
What I don't like about this car: Black interior and tan wood trim (which seems to clash and looks out of place to me).

I plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time. Do any of you savvy/experienced owners have any thoughts about which model might be better in the long run? My favorite of the two is the newer (2016) model, but the price of the 2014 model is much more appealing.

I will be using this vehicle for my daily commute. One-way my commute is 31 miles, and I have ready-access to charging stations at both ends of my trip. My trip to work should be no problem; it's the commute back that I'm concerned about because I'll be climbing a good amount of elevation -- somewhere in the neighborhood of several thousand feet over several miles up Interstate 80. Do you think the 250e has the power and range to accomplish this task and, if so, can I accomplish it without taxing the range too much?

Here's my "ideal" 250e build, if any of you know of someone who is interested in selling:

Model Year: 2015 or 2016
Color: Silver, Mountain Grey, or White
Interior: Grey w/preferably black wood or metal trim; no tan wood
Mileage: Low miles
Build: Loaded (I do not need parking assist, however)
Title: One owner, clean

Thanks so much for your thoughts and input!

Welcome. I would look for a range extended version or wait for the 200 mile range cars coming out next year. If your drive home is highway with gentle slope up 31 miles, I would think you would be okay but definitely do your homework on range in cold temperatures as well have access to charging at work.

Most cars now have black interiors. If you hate black then you are out of luck. My last 3 EVs had black interiors. I do not particularly like a dungeon but that is what it is currently.

JeffRay said:
Welcome. I would look for a range extended version or wait for the 200 mile range cars coming out next year. If your drive home is highway with gentle slope up 31 miles, I would think you would be okay but definitely do your homework on range in cold temperatures as well have access to charging at work.

Thanks, JeffRay! I know for sure that the 2016 used model has the extended range option, but my understanding is that MB discourages use of that feature so as not to cause premature battery failure. So, I don't see myself using that feature very often. I do have access to charging on both ends of my commute. I'll likely be driving my 4matic on colder snowy days, too.

One more question if you don't mind me imposing upon you:
With the Tesla Model 3 coming out so soon, would you forgo the MB 250e altogether? I've heard a lot of negative remarks on the ride quality of the Tesla Model S, and I've become quite accustomed to MB quality and comfort, so I am not at all interested in compromising in those areas.

Thanks again!

In my opinion the Tesla 3 is at least 2 years out. The Bolt has bad seats. I was very happy with my 2014 B. If I purchased again I would add blind spot assist. The 15+ cars come with range extender and paddles. I also had premium sound and the backup camera. I totaled the car in property tax season so I went with a VW eGolf SEL. It fits my needs but it is not a Mercedes.

Agree that beyond the technicals, looks and comfort are also important. The MB250e is not a looker but it has all the MB features save 4matic. I rented a Hertz Tesla S for a week in California and it was quite nice, big, and sporty. Ride was very nice on highway, zippy. A little too moderne for moi taste.

So my plan is to extend the current lease on the 2014 in December to bridge to 2018 MB250e with longer legs. As an urban commuter machine, that would be perfect. Can't be driving my classic MB roadster all the time!

If you can't wait, get the 2015+ with range extended option. You can't predict your first reaction to range anxiety.

Sorry Blaferty, no new news here. Only what has been reported that MB is expected to roll out a MB powered B-class with up to 200 miles in range. Exactly when is a mystery and whether they follow through is another unknown at this point. Awaiting next MB announcement. Posts are here somewhere.

Well, my '14 B class has the brown leather interior with the dark (almost black) wood trim, range extender; rear view camera; premium sound but no paddles or radar based cruise control. During the cold NJ winter (and spring that for periods was colder than the winter) I didn't get less than 60 miles on a charge - without enabling the "Range Extender". I have driven up our Route 280, which is quite steep - although no where near the slope of the roads into SLC - and the car had more than enough power to ascend.

Now that the weather has warmed up - and I can turn off the heat - I regularly get over 80 miles on a charge. Before retiring, I worked 51 miles from home and drove a Leaf. I had a 110 volt outlet available at work and had no problem with the commute.

"Range Anxiety" becomes less of an issue once you have driven the EV and becomes a non-issue.

Thank you, Rosie. That's very helpful information. From your post, I trust you're familiar with my area. It will be a hump on the return, but there will be lots of regen opportunity in the other direction. My co-workers and I are estimating I may arrive with a full or nearly full battery. :eek:) We'll see. I'll report back later once I have some stats. Thanks again!

Mr.250e,

??? Not sure how you go 31 miles, even downhill, and arrive with a near full capacity battery. My last physics class was in high school. Maybe I am underestimating how much regen you will get coming down the hill, hm, very interesting. If so, to go back up the hill should be a breeze, save the double whammy of really cold and the uphill highway driving. Perhaps your engineer friends can do the calculation as it is all calculable.

Bite the bullet and get a good deal on a used MB250e.

31 miles commute each way is easy in a B250e. And if you get the Range charge option -- use it as often as you want -- it does not degrade the battery and it does not get monitored by Mercedes. I have used range charge about 600 times in 3 years -- all winter, for my 60-70 mile round trip commute to NYC. (no charging at work) . The only time I don't use a range charge is on my day off or weekends, or summertime when range is over 100 miles anyway. If you are getting a B250e used and are going to keep it a long time, get every possible option. the sticker (MSRP) should be about $51k. Why not? The special options make the car so much better. Radar cruise control? awesome. Heated Seats, heated windshield, better stereo, etc. these are essential items -- the stock radio is garbage. Leather seats are great. Nav is great. CarPlay, etc. get it all. Try to get a 2015 or 2016 model. Under 20k miles is ideal.

Here's a little update as promised:

I absolutely love my B!

When traveling to work (31 miles one way), I am able to arrive with a full battery compliments of the downhill commute and regen via paddle shifting. This has remained true in the dead of winter with snow tires as well the height of the summer season. I charge upon returning home and do it all over again several days a week.

Things that I particularly like about the B are:
-Its European quality and feel;
-Improved visibility over my last MB;
-Ease of entering and exiting (again as compared to my last MB);
-Utilitarian style and function;
-Winter/mountainous driving is no problem w/Blizzak snow tires, which I've noticed have no appreciable impact on range;
-Cool interior lighting, which you can set to almost any color along the color spectrum;
-Hatchback is great for storing my gym bag and other miscellaneous items out of sight; and
-I've become the "star" of the office, serving as the "Uber/Lyft" driver whenever we have meetings off-site. :D

The only thing I wish the B had is greater range...

If you've figured out how to improve range, please let me know. I'd even consider adding another battery, if that were possible!

Mr250e,

Hi, forgot to ask. What happens on commute home from office. You start with 100% but have to drive back up the gentle hill all the way home. On a cold day, I would assume you arrive back with a reserve of 25%? How low has it gotten in the worst of conditions, i.e. cold? I ask to try to gauge how our car performs with consistent pressure on accelerator even in economy range.

Assume you have a top up option near work as I believe you asked about securing provided cable during unattended commercial charging. BTW, when I charge commercially, it is almost always in an attended lot or gated parking lot at work.

wtzouris said:
... And if you get the Range charge option -- use it as often as you want -- it does not degrade the battery and it does not get monitored by Mercedes. I have used range charge about 600 times in 3 years -- all winter, for my 60-70 mile round trip commute to NYC. (no charging at work) . The only time I don't use a range charge is on my day off or weekends, or summertime when range is over 100 miles anyway...

Great information! Is this still the case?

Arthur

Arthur,

Our friend wtzouris leased his B250e so battery degradation was not his issue after he returned the leased vehicle. I also lease and uniformly use the extended range feature. All activity is recorded by the car and available to MB when they do the annual battery check.

To minimize long-term battery degradation, Tesla and our car charges only up to 80% of battery capacity normally. Pushing the range extender option allows car to charge 90% of the battery. So I guess if you are buying used, don't by wtzouris' 2014 B250e!

Again, there is info available about long-term battery degradation and how to minimize it.

Where are you Arthur? If in the U.S., try cargurus.com. Dealers will ship to you at a cost of $1200.

Here you go, not that far away and has the range extender.

https://www.mblynnwood.com/inventory/-WDDVP9AB9FJ006393

I changed cars to get more features. The Mercedes Blind Spot merely lights a red LED on the mirror and the cruse control is not enhanced. Hyundai really takes safety seriously, The Blind Spot lights a LED on the mirror ans a warning tone sounds.

Back