Range Extender Tips & Tricks

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnewbie said:
My EVSE controls the max power that can be supplied (~10KW in my case) and the B-ED charger controls the charging power levels (up to the EVSE max) based various car conditions and settings (e.g. battery temp, current battery level, departure time, range extender on/off, etc.) that are not visible to the EVSE. I have a 2015 B-ED with range extender and 40A/240V home charging (JuiceBox EVSE) and my observation when range extender charging is on the charger in B-ED will charge using max power (~10KW) until the normal non-extended battery level is reached then taper off power down to ~3.5KW over the last ~30 minutes of charging.

The taper is normal regardless of the starting mode. My car also ramps up the charging current. It starts very low (less than 10A) then it goes to 30 amps or so and then after a few seconds it goes to the full 40A. The whole process takes under a minute. It just does not suddenly go to 40A.

GlennD said:
evnewbie said:
My EVSE controls the max power that can be supplied (~10KW in my case) and the B-ED charger controls the charging power levels (up to the EVSE max) based various car conditions and settings (e.g. battery temp, current battery level, departure time, range extender on/off, etc.) that are not visible to the EVSE. I have a 2015 B-ED with range extender and 40A/240V home charging (JuiceBox EVSE) and my observation when range extender charging is on the charger in B-ED will charge using max power (~10KW) until the normal non-extended battery level is reached then taper off power down to ~3.5KW over the last ~30 minutes of charging.

The taper is normal regardless of the starting mode. My car also ramps up the charging current. It starts very low (less than 10A) then it goes to 30 amps or so and then after a few seconds it goes to the full 40A. The whole process takes under a minute. It just does not suddenly go to 40A.

For me the long taper only occurs when range extender charging is on (see orange curve):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YjLkA1UZaelSsI34jcWNF8Z6ZQRe4HB8/view?usp=sharing
view

I don't see taper when range extender charging is off:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hY1ZALI1O73DOU-Ez0ZKYWcfNATEVWYr/view?usp=sharing
view

It may be that my car charger behaves differently. According to the sales label it came from Tesla's plant in the Netherlands. I think earlier cars had California supplied chargers.

Back