Can I purchase an extended warranty... and should I?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallcp

The used car dealer that sold me my B-Class told me the car had 4-months left of the original new car warranty. I am tempted to stop by the local M-B dealer and ask if I can buy an extended warranty.

Does anyone know whether this is an option?

And if so, does it make sense? Some of the "drivetrain" style warranties I've seen will replace an engine and a transmssion... but that's not helpful for us. I wonder if the M-B dealer folks actually know how their warranties apply to EV'.

Thanks for any advice! I've owned the car 2 days so I am a newbie.

Charles.

I don't think you can buy an extended warranty from MB but it seems to me that I was offered something from a third-party. Ask them in any case.

The battery should be on 8 year, 100K warranty and the thing that seems to have cropped up is the electric motor at the 40K+ mark or five year mark. This is covered by the 4 year warranty on all but battery.

With a four year old car, even a Mercedes, consider buying an extended warranty as parts are going to be harder to come by. That is likely not to be factored in yet by the third parties.

Let us know what you find. I am going to turn in my 2017 at the end of 2019.

I visited my local M-B dealer today and here's what he said... if the vehicle was purchased as a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) car from a Mercedes dealer, then you would be eligible to sign up extended warranty coverage as follows:

5-yr 75,000 miles $2185
5-yr 100,000 miles $2702
6-yr 75,000 miles $2415
6-yr 100,000 miles $2990
7-yr 75,000 miles $2760
7-yr 100,000 miles $3852

HOWEVER, since my car was bought off a random used car lot, it is probably not eligible. Plus this change of ownership will take weeks to get into the system so I might accepted at first, then rejected later. The alternative is 3rd party insurance, which he implied would be more expensive.

In reading the details of their coverage, I see a couple of potential gotchas, under "Exclusions may apply":
- Damage due to lack of maintenance
- Repairs required due to normal wear and tear
- Any amount exceeding the market value of the vehicle.

You and I know electric motors don't need maintenance, does your dealer? And what's a B-Class worth at 6-years and 40,000 miles?

Very nice info and post, thank you.

I am not freaked out by the gotchas. As you pointed out, what maintenance on motor are we talking about anyway. The thing that is known is the wearing out over time of the bearings, which can be argued as not normal wear and tear (think tires). If the annual battery check was not done, I think it is correct that it voids the MB battery warranty.

Good to know that the way to get extended warranty from MB source is to buy certified used from them.

Just be on the lookout for signs that your motor is failing, whining, messages. I have feeling that there are a lot of Tesla motors out there so the part should be available but at a significant cost.

Back