Charging speed and pre-entry climated control

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hfeb

I did some test with the charing speed, because it seemed to me that the last 15% with the Range+ were very slow. The result are that it is charging with 11kW unditl 100% and then tapers off to 0 when doing the Range+ charging. The numbers and graphs are from the charger.

charging.png

This image shows the normal charging, and at around 19.00 it hits 100% and tapers off. I turned on the pre-entry heater at 19:10, and this caused the power go up til 11kW again. The pre heating should not affect the charging time for the last ca 15-17 mimutes of charging, because the power draw is under 11kW, but the car reports a later finish time so I am not sure about this.

This made we wonder how much the heater is using, and started the heater another day, after the full charge was reached
charging2.png

Here you can see the full power charging to ca 12:15 and then it tapers off down to 0 with Range+ charging. At 16:20 I turned on the pre heat and the power surges to 3.8kW and then stays at around 2kW for 20 minutes.

I can also guess that the maximum heater power is at least 3,8kW and if you drive in freezing conditions, the heater could use 7,6kW in a 2 hour trip. That is more than 25% of the capacity :shock:

This lead to me insulating the hoses and tubes in the engine compartment, and it really helped with this. You can have a look at my other post in modifications.

HFeb,

Yes, I think I read somewhere or saw on some YT video about how Tesla manages long-term battery degradation. First, it limits how much of battery capacity is charged. We have Range + which allows us to tap into some of that reserve. Not surprising that Tesla throttles back charge rates when 80% of capacity is done. The MB folks did not have the experience so were smart to put Tesla motors, batteries and management system in our cars.

How heating affects the equation I had not seen previously. Thanks for posting.

Back