Brake Fluid Service

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WantOne

How is everyone doing on the brake fluid service?

Couple independent shops here that does this in Seattle market doesn’t seem to do electric vehicle and suspect electric brakes are different so I’m forced to dealers at about $200.

Is that same experience to others?

My brake performance is still normal at about 30k, but since it’s recommended at 20k, I’d thought I’d get it taken care of.

I'm no mechanic but the brakes are pretty much like non-EVs. The only difference would be that vacuum boost would have to come from an electric pump, not engine vacuum. That wouldn't alter anything about a fluid flush or brake pad change.

Speaking for myself I'm a little skeptical of all these recommended fluid flushes. As near as I can recall this was not a thing back in the day. Plus your brakes are not getting super heated, so no temperature degradation. Although someone asked this particular question to Car Talk years ago and they confirmed it should be changed once in a while (don't recall the interval). But I still don't get it.

Just as an aside, an electric car shouldn't wear out brake pads as fast as a gas car. Even my old Prius was still on it's original pads at 140,000 miles. So you might just want to wait a few more miles before touching anything...

Just my 2-cents though.

I agree with HallCP.

I almost always let the engine slow the car down and tap lightly on the brake to not hit the car right in front of me. This is even driving in E+ mode to maximize coasting. Brakes are all about wear and tear IMHO. Ours should last longer assuming they were the same industrial strength jobbies put in the gas powered Bs. Might even be stronger considering the extra weight of ours.

Reminds me that I have an honest mechanic who services all my cars. I bring mine to the dealer if it is a doozy, like a battery or motor problem. So I avoid being upsold which all MB service advisors are trained to do.

Thank you both. I’m not too worried about the break pads as they tell me the current status when I bring the car in for battery certification and they have been good.

It’s just the fluid service that I waited until 30K to do, but very weird to find local shops don’t want to deal with this car. Is everyone on schedule on brake fluid?

WantOne,

As mine is leased, I do whatever service the car prompts me to do. Coming up on end of year two, so annual battery check and ??? For my first lease, a 2014 B, as part of the Black Friday special, regular service was free, so no charge. For my 2017, did not get this special, so curious to see what is called for at end of year 2 and what if any when I turn car in.

I've not had my brake fluid replaced and have no plan to do so. I had LEAF with ~95k miles on it when I sold it and never touched the brakes or fluid. Unless you see an issue, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back