Any members of the B250e High Mileage Club??

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cblankespoor

Hi all,

Given the range limitations of our beloved B's, I'm just curious as to what the higher end of odometer readings might be in our group. Is anyone driving a B with over 75,000 miles?

I purchased an off-lease 2014 Cirrus White in March 2018 with 12K miles. Currently, her odometer just rolled over to 26K, and I'm starting to read more post about the dreaded coolant-leakage-into-the-drivetrain problem that some owners are having. Maybe I should start a second discussion thread, but is there any preventative measures that I can do now to lessen the chances of that happening? I've already had my B in twice for the annual battery desiccant change.

Thanks in advance for any herd wisdom for this group. :)

clb

cblankespoor said:
Given the range limitations of our beloved B's, I'm just curious as to what the higher end of odometer readings might be in our group. Is anyone driving a B with over 75,000 miles?

I'm new to the B250e. A 2017 Model Year that had 9,800 miles when I bought it at the end of this past July.
Adding about 500 miles a month as a daily commuter.

So far no issues, have not undertaken any service visits (vehicle was off-lease - likely had M-B dealer service)

Peter,

Hi all,

It is rare but yes, a few of our B250e have had motor issues, some related to coolant but more related to bad motor. Best advice is to keep your warranty active.

As to preventative, other than resisting the urge not to roll into dealer and being hit with a $600+ bill, if it were me, I would bring the car in for annual battery check and once over. Mine is finishing year 2 of lease and I will be bringing it in. If there is not an annual check, the extended battery warranty is apparently voided.

Other than that, if you hear or feel something weird, let us know and bring it in to plug into computer to see what's up.

The odds are greatly in your favor for no issues but it does occasionally happen.

I'm sure I'm not the only curious B250e owner...

There's a guy named Dan on YouTube. I'm sure he's a nice guy... Posts a lot of product distruction video. It's a Tesla AC Induction Motor (not an Engine)
Seems utterly clueless about technology, or even basic workshop tools, but I digress.

https://youtu.be/wvLmBfwmA04

Tesla Model S Motor and transaxle teardown. Cringe worthy!! AFAIK that is identical the B250e powertrain.

Apparently the electric motor is cooled by coolant running inside a tube in the rotor shaft, and then through the motor controller (aka Inverter) that powers the three stator coils. This could be a weakness for coolant leaking.

Peter,

Our 2014 is just turning over 80K. Have only replaced the 12V accessory battery and wipers last year during maintenance. Other than that, runs like new! SOLID - not a squeak or rattle on the car and the upholstery still looks new. Dealer also ran a battery pack health check during last year’s annual maintenance and it STILL has 97.3% of its 36KW battery capacity available. Mind you, even when the battery charges to 100% (28KW) it’s really only 80% of the actual 36KW pack capacity. In other words, the battery still has 100% of its 28KW range (87 miles USA) available even to this day. Mercedes was EXTREMELY conservative with battery life degradation due to the long warranty on the battery pack. Just installed new tires and 18” OEM Mercedes wheels (stock were 17”) with Continental extreme contact DWS…the ride quality from the run flat stock tires is a night and day difference. Great city car/daily driver….(Salt Lake City)…We’ll probably keep this car until the wheels fall off ! ;)

Back