How to put car in neutral if battery is dead?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernlights

My 2014 B-class has a dead (12v) battery (as well as other problems preventing it from being operational). The dealership wasn't able to fix it, but they "manually put it into neutral" so that I could tow it home. When I got it home I connected it to jumper cables so that I could open the trunk to empty it out. In the process of doing this the transmission shifted into park, and I cannot get it into neutral by pushing on the steering column stick. I'm going to need to tow it again though. Does anybody know the trick to "manually" put it into neutral? I couldn't find anything in the manual, and the only info I've found online is for Mercedes models with a gear shift between the front seats, not on the steering column (in that case there is a hole you stick a pen into to push a switch that unlocks the transmission).

NL,

Hm, don't know the trick but I assume only the rear wheels are locked. If towing, can the tow truck do with free front wheels rolling?

Sorry to hear of your troubles. How about trying again to shift with the battery charged up or on jumper cables?

Good point that only the rear wheels may be locked. I've been able to get it temporarily into neutral when I have jumper cables attached, but it always goes back into park. I may play around a bit more to try to figure out exactly what triggers it to go back into park (maybe a time delay, turning the key, opening the door?).

Opening the door definitely puts the car into Park. When exiting the dealer, they routinely do scan of car door panel and take a picture. I am usually in drive when I stop, when the person opens my door, car shifts to P.

Don't know how you will be able to avoid except to climb out the window or exit via another door?

Back