Is the range on map still functioning?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeV2113

I love my new to me, b class. I was wondering if the range on map is dead along with the telemetrics? I hoped it was a built in feature that didn’t need a WiFi connection but it seems like it does...

MikeV2113 said:
I love my new to me, b class. I was wondering if the range on map is dead along with the telemetrics? I hoped it was a built in feature that didn’t need a WiFi connection but it seems like it does...
I couldn't get it to work when I first got my B250e, so I concluded it was shut off by MB. Pity.

Also, I smile when using the B250e's NAV and it shows all the local GAS stations (but no EV chargers)!

Funny story, last night I visited the car wash. It's been a few weeks, and as a bird shot a missile at my partly open window while on the EV charger at work, there was white splatter on the passenger dash and side window top.

The attendant asked if I wanted to fill up with gas? I said she could if she was willing to try - it's electric! I guess I'm the only B250e in that ZIP code.

Peter,

It would be nice if you could use your own phone hotspot to give internet service to the car. I wonder if that would be possible.. swap out the cellular device for a wifi device...

rrattie said:
It would be nice if you could use your own phone hotspot to give internet service to the car. I wonder if that would be possible.. swap out the cellular device for a wifi device...

I was stuck in traffic this evening and tried the NAV function for driving range. The NAV then tried to connect to the internet, and got stuck. After a minute or so I cancelled out of it.

When this feature was working, and before before I had a B250e, did the car try to connect to the public WiFi, or as you suggest, connect over public cellular service?

I agree, a cellphone as hot spot would be nice to have in the B250e.

Peter,

I can't understand why it would not connect via cellular which is built into most if not all MBs. Of course, the clever folks may want us to subscribe to the Mercedes MBrace app in order to activate. I will browse other MB forums and see what is up.

If one has Apple or Android Play, does it matter?

If you have one of the models with Apple Car Play then it doesn't really matter. I have a 2014 and they did not have that option. But for features in the car that require mbrace that is basically using a built in cellular device in the car that uses Verizon to provide connectivity to the car. Imagine..... if a car was like an Apple Watch and you could add line on AT&T or Verizon and then put the sim in the car.

rrattie said:
But for features in the car that require mbrace that is basically using a built in cellular device in the car that uses Verizon to provide connectivity to the car.

Thanks for adding more detail. JeffRay seems to think that all MB vehicles have cellular connectivity. Is that how the emergency roadside connection in the B250e works? I bought a subscription but never needed used it.

The NAV map continues to operate, I assume it uses GPS signals for location, and stored map images for display, and locally created driving instructions in the vehicle. Much like other vehicles and on our cellphone mapping apps. We have/had several Acura vehicles in the past, and the dealer loves to push the annual updated map DVD/CD that lives in the car somewhere. Not sure if the B250e has a different NAV database storage scheme.

I can still send a street address to my B250e's NAV system using the " Send2Benz" function in the MercedesMe App on my iPhone. I've never come across the "MBrace" app, is that now history for B250e owners?

When the NAV is trying to connect to the internet is it using the cellular modem in the B250e? Presumably there is cellular service over much of the country.

But if MB has shut off their account(s) with the carrier, the B250e will never connect. Presumably M-B was paying the carrier (Verizon?) for the service. Other MB vehicles likely still have this working. So different dial-in number for different MB vehicle models?

So even if we could somehow clone the cellular account in the B250e, possibly using a different SIM card, how would that help restore the features in the B250e that were ended by MB last summer? I doing my thinking out loud 'blind', as I came to the B250e party too late to play.

Peter,

Did some digging and e navigator range on map feature seems to be disabled. But, there is a range on map function that you can see using the the 2D mode
In the Navi system, better than nothing I suppose. Still I like the car a lot.

Back