Dangerous Brake Failure

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowds

Hi all,
I wanted to check to see if anyone has experienced a brake issue I occasionally have in my 2014 BED. A couple of years ago, I was exiting the highway, foot lightly on brake, car in regen braking mode. All of a sudden, the car went into the thrust mode (arrow indicating charge direction turned to white), and braking momentarily failed. It looked like the mode that it goes into as the car is almost at a stop at a light. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong or any fault codes. The other day, it did this again; same scenario, slowing through around 40 mph, car came out of regen mode, into thrust mode, momentary loss of braking. It then goes back to normal after a second or two.

I have lodged a complaint with NHTSA, but I'm sure Mercedes and the NHTSA will not pay much attention to a single complaint. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Steve.

Steve,

It seems to me that the car you bought has had a host of problems, this being the latest. As a year one model, yes, it makes sense to pursue MB.

So far as I can remember, no one else reported this brake fault on this forum.

Was there any rough or uneven pavement when this happened. I've noticed a similar, but not identical, situation in the B and the LEAF when there is uneven pavement and the stability control overrides the regen, effectively cancelling out braking and making it feel like acceleration. If there was no rough pavement, then I'd be very concerned.

@PatricioEV describes happens in our Prius and Highlander hybrid. I have never had this happen in the B-class. I do get lurch sometimes while stop with the foot on the brake. It feels like the motor pulses.

I also get the lurching sometimes immediately after stopping. Shop said this was normal behavior. Yeah, normal maybe, but still ain't right. When the braking has failed, it has been on smooth dry surface.

I've had this car in the shop for non-scheduled maintenance 13 times since I bought it, with a total of 3 months at the dealership. MB gave me a 6 mo extended warranty, which is now expired. Very frustrating experience. And sales has the minerals to send me "special offers" on a new MB. Yeah, right.

Back