First time ChargePoint Home Flex charging for 97 miles

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtur

Hi all,

Got a ChargePoint Home Flex installed at 10 kW rate. It was at 51 miles before charge, and after nearly 2 hours of charging, ChargePoint shut off after adding 45 miles, which showed the battery was charged to 97 miles.

I did not select Range Extender. Typically, using L1 charger, I see 86 miles as max, since I purchased the vehicle a month ago.

Would you know if home L2 charging tries to charge at 100% battery, rather than respecting the standard 86 mile range?

Thanks.

If you have not selected Range option, it will only charge to 80%. I suspect the "added" range is an artifact that will adjust itself after driving for awhile. The range estimator is just that, an estimator. I've seen lots of different estimates based on driving mode, climate control use, last drive, etc. I've also seen an estimate that high w/o range selected before. Didn't go that far, of course.

Yes, the infamous GOM, a.k.a. Guess-O-Meter. Like any algorithm, it takes a sample of the last few miles driven and does a simple calculation of estimated range IF you drive exactly like the sample. The problem is we never drive exactly like the sample in terms of things like start up, heating or cooling the cabin to target temperature, coasting into the charging port, etc.

Check it out for yourself and see how M/KwH changes on short local trips vs longer highway trips.

I don't have a home charging port so I try never to let it drop below 12% battery in warm weather and 25% battery in cold weather. That way, I know I can get to a free charging port. If below that, I have no choice but to roll into the commercial lot and pay $34 for 10 hours on a L2 charger.

Welcome and enjoy the ride!

Back