Is replacing desiccant a DIY job?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallcp

Has anyone replaced the desiccant in the battery pack at home? Is this a DIY job?

I think maybe they remove the entire plastic pan under the car when they do it at the dealer. That would be a tough job at home. But I'm not sure about that, and maybe you could cut a few holes in the right spot in that pan and do future desiccant replacements more easily thereafter?

The car is so low to the ground it's impossible to see much.

By contrast, the desiccant in the Smart ED is in a plastic cartridge that is easily accessible just under the door sill. Too bad Mercedes didn't think this one through a little more for our B's.

My dealer is doing this for free during the annual battery inspection. Last year they said they wouldn't do it any more, however, this year the service rep stated they read the warranty manual, and they are responsible for it. I was shocked, as I wasn't expecting this.

barsaec said:
My dealer is doing this for free during the annual battery inspection. Last year they said they wouldn't do it any more, however, this year the service rep stated they read the warranty manual, and they are responsible for it. I was shocked, as I wasn't expecting this.

Thats nuts! They skipped last year because they didn't know desiccant change was required. One of the few things they get to perform on our cars during warranty service and get paid for it.. I will be scheduling mine soon and will ask questions about how it's performed so I can understand what's involved. I am a DIY guy but I know when to pay someone with specific skills to do something.

They did it last year for free, but went out of their way to warn me that "this would be the last time." This year the same dealer said, yeah, we are required to do it. I have no idea of whats required to change it.

I just got back from the dealer (mercedes-Benz Cary, NC) and I had a chance to speak to the technician who replaced the desiccant in my car. He said it was a nasty job. You do indeed have to drop the plastic underbody tray, then reach around some frame members to access the desiccant access hole (T90 bit required). He also happened to have a battery sitting in the shop to show me. (It seems he just replaced the battery in another B-Class!)

Cost of the desiccant cartridge from M-B is $220 ("Air drier" Part No. 242-340-08-01), labor $100.

In the photo below the front of the car would be to the left. The T90 for the desiccant access is on the left.

The battery and a motor he had already shipped off were replaced under warranty as it was within the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty. The crate had Tesla logos on it.

IMG_2308.JPG

hallcp said:
In the photo below the front of the car would be to the left. The T90 for the desiccant access is on the left.

I understand that foot (boot) prints might be on the packing case wood during construction... but on the battery tray?

Peter,

If it's just a dessicant why can't you pop it in the microwave or oven and heat the moisture out of it and re-use it. I used to do this with dessicants kits for smaller items per instructions from the vendor.

If it's just a dessicant why can't you pop it in the microwave or oven and heat the moisture out of it and re-use it. I used to do this with dessicants kits for smaller items per instructions from the vendor.

Back