My B250e is dead

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hfeb

In August I got the "Without restarting visit workshop" message, and went straight to the workshop. After I got there, the car would not start and was locked in park. After 2 months of them "trying" to find the source of the problem, the workshop gave up yesterday. They say that the insulation is bad somewhere, but they can't locate the failure. They suggest that I send the car to a better workshop that will cost me 3.000 dollars in freight only.

Is there anything I can do, or does anyone have a service manual, so I can look into it myself before shipping the car? I have tried to disconnect the 12V battery, to reset the computer, but it did not work. And how do I get the car into neutral, so I can move it? Right now it is locked in park.

I would even consider flying some expert in, as it would be cheaper and faster than shipping the car.

hfeb,

This is terrible but does sound familiar. Hopefully, one of the members can help you with the service manual. Not clear where you are but shipping cost of 3K is a lot. I take it that by workshop, you don't mean a MB dealer. I am hoping it is a software gliche or sensor problem.

Good luck.

I am in the Faroe Islands, and we have a local Mercedes dealer, but they are famous for their bad workshop. I have to ship the car to Denmark, and this is almost 1.000 miles.

hfeb,

Oh I see. Almost all local MB dealer have no experience with our B250e and have to consult with either MBUSA in the US or MB-DE. They send the service request and are guided through by head office. You may need to insist that your service manager do that for you. Each MB dealer we were told had to have at least one mechanic trained to work on hybrids and electrics. Escalate before shipping your car off. If it is under warranty, you have a stronger case. If not, then their reputation is at stake. Did you buy used from your dealer?

In the meantime, let's see if another member has some help for you.

I had to ship my car to Denmark, and got a reasonable price for the shipment. The danish workshop found the problem within one week, there was cooling liquid in the motor. How it got there is a mystery, but the motor has to be replaced. I am currently waiting for a quot from Mercedes on a replacement motor. Hope it will be ok, as I really like my car.

hfeb,

Oh no, that is not good. You will see from other posts that a replacement of the motor out of warranty is really expensive even for a reconditioned motor. Be prepared for sticker shock. Perhaps the Danish mechanic can source it from MB directly but our understanding is that the motors may have to come from Tesla. Try discussing with MB that this is a known product defect that should be covered even out of warranty. It is worth the effort to save a grand or two.

Best of luck.

If tho motor is still not replaced, Norway is relatively near you, so maybe you could find something cheaper here:
https://finndel.no/bildeler.aspx?bk=354705&dk=0137

Thank you everybody. The motor is now replaced under warranty and the car is on its way home again. I think I look to much forward to see it again after 6 months :)

hfeb,

Yes, great news. You certainly persevered through this as few would have.

Enjoy the ride!

Back