curmudgeon

Re: Rear seat headrests

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:12 am

No, but the brute force method doesn't actually cause any irreversible damage. You can still raise them to their "normal" position.

Just raise them all the way, and, while holding in the button, quickly push down the headrest all the way. It's more speed than strength.

Pretty sure removing them would cause a permanent change to some mechanism.

GlennD

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:17 am

My 2017 b had no stops. I just slid them off and I put them in a box for lease's end I recall forcing my 2014 though.
2014 Cirrus White B Class (Totaled).
2016 Urano Gray eGolf.
I loved the VW but it was too hard to get into for my aged body.
I am back to another 2017 Cirrus White B250e.
Blind Spot Assist, Performance 3 and Sahara Beige interie
WHITE IONIQ EV.

JeffRay

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:54 pm

I forced my 2017 down. Easier this time having done it once before.
Jeff in NYC
MB '21 GLC300; MB '06 E500W; MB '81 380SL
Retired: MB '17 B250e; MB '14 Be

oilerlord

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:25 am

After using the "speed" instead of the brute force approach, the headrests now easily move all the way down and are easily removed. No doubt this must have forced some safety catch a millimeter or two out of the way, but they still lock in all positions. No idea why Mercedes would design them this way. Makes no sense. I'm going to keep them in the down position as Murphy's law would suggest the one time they need to be there - they won't be.

Thanks guys!

JeffRay

Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Oilerlord,

My theory is that they don't want the rear headrests removed for safety reasons. By making us use force, they can argue that it was a deliberate action. Such is the mind of a safety engineer with all due respect to what they otherwise have done to make our cars much safer than decades ago.
Jeff in NYC
MB '21 GLC300; MB '06 E500W; MB '81 380SL
Retired: MB '17 B250e; MB '14 Be

GlennD

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:43 pm

JeffRay wrote:Oilerlord,

My theory is that they don't want the rear headrests removed for safety reasons. By making us use force, they can argue that it was a deliberate action. Such is the mind of a safety engineer with all due respect to what they otherwise have done to make our cars much safer than decades ago.
Either the dealer broke the stops or they changed something. I was prepared to force the headrests off but it was not necessary.
2014 Cirrus White B Class (Totaled).
2016 Urano Gray eGolf.
I loved the VW but it was too hard to get into for my aged body.
I am back to another 2017 Cirrus White B250e.
Blind Spot Assist, Performance 3 and Sahara Beige interie
WHITE IONIQ EV.

barsaec

Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:15 pm

Got mine down yesterday. Just a simple tap with an open-hand, and down they went. My wife thinks I'm a hero now. Thanks! Visibility is much improved.
--Woody
'15 B200 ED Cosmos Black
'16 GLE300d 4MATIC Diamond white
'18 GLS550 4MATIC Selenite Gray Metallic

San Antonio, TX

dot4f

Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:25 pm

Brilliant! Such an easy fix. Took me all of 10 seconds per seat. Thanks a million for the tip. Here's my recap of the really simple procedure:

1. From a rear door fold a rear seat slightly, put your knee on the seat
2. Extend the headrest fully out
3. Hold in adjustment button
4. Slam headrest down/in as fast & hard as you can
5. If you don't get it on the first time, just try again. Got one on the first try, the 2nd one took 3 tries.
6. You may hear a little noise of the clip falling out - this is good & normal
7. You now can fully remove the headrest, fully lower the headrest, and it locks in all the positions like normal - no harm at all.

This is how the car should have shipped, but it's such an easy fix, and it didn't harm anything.

Envador

Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:34 pm

We just bought a 32k mile 2014 BED this weekend. First google result ends up here. I tried the Hulkamania slam suggestions and failed. I felt like if I body slammed any harder I was going to damage the headrest cushion and I'd be real sorry then.

I have another way to get these headrests down all the way! My way involves a metal file so proceed with caution.

First, the stop pin is on the side opposite of the adjustment button.
You can actually lift the headrest high enough to reveal the notch that catches against the stop pin.
My solution is to file down the 90 degree notch into a 45 degree slope to allow the pin to slide past.
Will try to post some photos here:

Finished photo first. The rear side headrests don't go all the way down. There is a stop pin that prevents the headrest from being completely removed or pushed all the way down. Left headrest is post-modification and pushed all the way down for comparison with the right headrest which is pre-modification.

Lift the headrest high enough to reveal the notch that catches the stop pin preventing the headrest from lowering all the way down. In the photo, this is the bar on the right side, the side opposite the height adjustment button.

Closeup of the notch that catches the stop pin that prevents the headrest from being pushed all the way down.

Partway through the filing. File the perpendicular cut of the notch to become a slope so the stop pin can slip past.

Finished filing. Not as "slopey" as the original, but it shall pass! (with a bit of force)

Trusty metal file and banana for scale.

In case these images don't show up, you might be able to see them by going to imgur here https://imgur.com/gallery/U1NkTt9 First time posting, so not sure how bad I'll be moderated. Imgur gallery id is U1NkTt9 fwiw.

Safety concerns? I doubt filing down that notch will weaken anything enough to make a difference. Note that this mod only allows all-the-way-down, but still doesn't allow you to remove the headrests all the way out of the car. You're going to have to resort to Popeye-ing that pin into submission for full extraction.

Maybe I simply got lucky with a very strong stop pin? Hopefully this helps someone else who might have an invincible stop pin -- or Olive Oyl arms!

Return to “Technical Discussions”