40Kw charger for B250e

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zubair

Hi all,

Fairly new owner of B250e since December. I love the car but as widely documented, the achilles heel is the lack of rapid charge.

I live in London and there are a lot of 7kw chargers which take around 6 hours to charge. I have noticed some 40kw type 2 chargers near me. Is is safe for me to use them and would it charge my car in around 3 hours?

Zubair,

I can't speak to the way MB configured the European version of the B250e but in the US, it would not work as the car at best will throttle the input speed down. You need to check this as I would not risk damaging your charging apparatus just to try it out. My vague recollection as I turned mine in already is that the fastest I was able to recharge from near empty was at the dealer plugged into a L2 for about 5 or 6 hours.

Europe is so different, you may want to watch this video from Bjorn Nyland in Norway:

https://youtu.be/G1e_vJcVqLI

That he is using a Tesla charger shouldn't matter I think. It's just a fast 3-phase Level 2 charger to the car.

Charles.

Thanks both really helpful. I have watched that video and have read that 11kw (Tesla in video) and 22kw chargers (also in UK but rare) are fine. Nothing on 40kw though. I think it’s probably better safe then sorry, so won’t do any tests!

Hi,
I'm also a recent owner. Bought a 2017 Premium Sport in October 2021. In Ireland, our public charging system comprises a load of AC 43 Type 2 chargers... these work nicely, giving me a charge rate of 11kW/hr, or 2.5-3 hrs to charge from nearly empty.

As long as you can plug it in, the MB on-board charger (OBC) electronics will limit the current so as not to cause damage to your battery. Ironically the Tesla battery pack is capable of far quicker charging rates, but is limited purely by MB and the OBC they put in the car.

Hope that helps

Back