European Mennekes type 2 socket not compatible with Tesla

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurentm

I'm often in the Van der Valk hotel in Arlon, Belgium and they have a lot of Tesla superchargers.
Since the B250ED has Tesla components, I was curious to try to charge my car with a regular Tesla charger (the one with two cables).

I have tried the Mennekes type 2 AC socket from the charger (not the Combo-CSS) and it does not even fit into my car.
I'm very surprised because it looks exactly the same but maybe some notch prevents to plug it into the car.

I was not expecting to be really able to charge my car, but I cannot understand which differs in the Tesla Mennekes 2 socket.

I'm able to charge everywhere else with my two type 2 triphase cables (one is 2 meters provided with the car, one is 6 meters, bought from Amazon)
and I have also the domestic plug adapter (which is the same on my Smart ED 2014).
Fortiunately, in Luxembourg (all around the country) and in Metz (France) I can use 22Kw chargers and it takes only 3 hours @11kw to fully charge the B250ED.

Does someone has an explanation about the Tesla socket ?

I can't help answer this, but I thought I would point out that everything in Europe is different from here in USA. You have more pins in a Level 2 plug to accommodate 3-phase electric current. We don't have 3-phase at homes or most businesses here.

And the Tesla chargers here all have the proprietary Tesla connector, which fits nothing but Teslas. I understand European Teslas have some sort of CCS variant.

There was a Bjorn Nyland video where he plugged into a Tesla charger. Perhaps this helps:

https://youtu.be/G1e_vJcVqLI

Thanks for the link.

I think that the red socket is not a Tesla socket but a triphase industrial socket. The adapter box looks to be the one provided by TESLA for charging at home.

Back