Is there any way to change the behavior of the J1772 lock?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtzouris

Is there any way to prevent the J1772 socket from locking on to the charging connector when the car is locked? How do we ask Mercedes to give us that option in the future? What email do we use for B-Class ED suggestions?

Although I can see why you would want to defeat it, I actually think this is a great feature. I was thinking I would need to do this if I ever needed to use my charger in a public area:
61818.jpg

So maybe I'm crazy, or maybe my J1772 plug was so new that it was binding and felt stuck, but I AM able to unplug when the car is locked.

That makes more sense. I wasn't aware that the plug would lock. This WAS the case with the early I3, and was a major complaint. I'll test mine later tonight, but I'm pretty sure it does not lock.

The car itself needs to be locked in order for the plug to be locked in the socket. Did you know that? If that doesn't work off to the dealer. Mine does work and I like the feature. Others have suggested an on/off mechanism.

I prefer the way Nissan does it with the switch option to not lock, lock always, or unlock after done charging (for use with public charging stations)... That said, it is very easy to defeat the lock on the Leaf...

GasNoMas said:
The car itself needs to be locked in order for the plug to be locked in the socket. Did you know that? If that doesn't work off to the dealer. Mine does work and I like the feature. Others have suggested an on/off mechanism.

Mine doesn't lock even if the car is locked. Any idea how to enable locking?

Just yesterday I needed to charge up a bit at a ChargePoint station to have enough mileage to go home. When I came back to the car after ~30 minutes some douchey Leaf owner had unplugged my car to charge the Leaf.

I thought mine locked initially as well. Then I realized it's just really stubborn and a little hard to disconnect. That is, when I'm using the portable level 1 EVSE supplied with the car (which interestingly enough has the GM logo on the fine print on the back...) - my Siemens Versicharge plug in my garage is always smooth on, smooth off.

I was wrong. I had suggested that the plug was locked when the car was locked. No so just needed a bit more umph. Wish it did have a locking mechanism. Crazy as it sounds but the replacement cost for the provided 110 plug is $1000 through MB service. Won't be leaving it out overnight outside or I'll be buying my plug back on Craigslist.

The issue is that for the sort of scenarios mentioned some results are undesirable (and possibly dangerous/illegal)

- If you have a mobile/portable charger you own, it's great to have a way to secure it, because it can be stolen. Tesla will lock their UMCs into the car; when locked, optionally. Also J1772s tend to have a little hole in the handle trigger that can be used on a combination or lock padlock.

- If you are plugged in to a fixed public station (eg a Chargepoint that is publicly accessible) ; despite the possibility of douchey folks, it can be undesirable to allow a car to lock in. What if it needs to be towed for an emergency/violation etc? That's why all these station systems have ways to notify if you have been unplugged.

@TonyWilliams may know better here, but I believe the J1772 standard has no way to 'tell' the car it is a fixed or mobile station; so the car wouldn't be able to between situations above. I'd be surprised and learn something new if the B-class effectively allowed you to lock in/securely anchor to a fixed station with no way out but to cut a cable.

Therefore if you are worried about EVSE theft (because it can be unplugged on both ends); a combination or key padlock is an inelegant but working solution. If you are worried about douchebags, a little laminated hanger on the J1772 with a smiley and a message (e.g. "please don't unplug me i need to get back to my children", or some other message depending on your attitude) may be all you need to prevent most douchebaggery.

No, there is no intrinsic mechanism for that. However, it could be done indirectly by having the car recognize that an EVSE that indicates 16 or less amps as it's capacity is a mobile and above that it is a fixed...

EchoDelta said:
@TonyWilliams may know better here, but I believe the J1772 standard has no way to 'tell' the car it is a fixed or mobile station; so the car wouldn't be able to between situations above.

tomt said:
No, there is no intrinsic mechanism for that. However, it could be done indirectly by having the car recognize that an EVSE that indicates 16 or less amps as it's capacity is a mobile and above that it is a fixed...

Hmm, not really, I am getting a Jesla and 40A is it's max; and before I had a modded Panasonic that gave 24A.
I'm carrying my little padlock :)

Hi,

Just wondering what sort of padlock, or where it connects to the factory EVSE to lock it to prevent it from being stolen. I really do wish that it locked automatically by pressing the key. Winter will be here soon, and I'd like to start using the factory / slow EVSE but don't want it to grow legs. Thanks for your replies.

So there is no way to delete this thread, but I was wrong, the B-Class/B250e does not lock the J1772.

wtzouris said:
So there is no way to delete this thread, but I was wrong, the B-Class/B250e does not lock the J1772.

Hey Will, long time...how is the car? Was wondering what others have done to secure their factory J1772's while leaving the car unattended. It's way to easy to steal.

Greetings all --

This is an old discussion; however, I'm a fairly new B-Class owner and have some questions related to this discussion. My question is predicated on a desire to utilize the MB factory J1772 charger that came with the vehicle when I don't have access to Level 2 charging and a 110-volt outlet is otherwise available for charging. I've read other EV forums on how individuals are protecting their chargers from theft, but I would be pleased if some experienced B-owners would chime in here as the MB factory J1772 charger seems to present particular challenges inasmuch as 1) the connector doesn't lock into place even when the car is locked, 2) the connector won't accommodate a padlock because there's no hole, 3) running the coiled cord thru the rims seems rather inelegant and messy during the winter season, 4) and, running an extension cord to and from the boot where the charging unit is stored for security specifically violates MB directive not to use extension cords, and may present the risk of fire.

I need to take a closer look at the vehicle; however, I'm wondering whether there are any tow hooks or other logical areas that would provide a secure way of locking the charger to the vehicle (obviously realizing that no method is entirely fool or criminal proof).

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Best regards.

Mr250e,

Hey there. Never thought of that as I have used provided cable only in secure areas at work. I have used an outdoor rugged rated extension cord but only with 110v outlets without any issue including in rain and snow (off the ground). I supposed a way to do that "safely" is to route your charger from the plug through the car rear windows and be sure to plug into extension outside the car. Bit of work but a solution of sorts.

Back