EV Range How Low Can You Go

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregS

I went down to 6 miles remaining on GO Meter with 9% power remaining. The warning light came on and said on reserve power the other meter dipped below 100%. I am curious if anyone has run out of power. What else would you notice before the end. Is there another level of warnings.

I've been a little lower than that, 3 miles remaining. Once. You notice the E-Cell at 50%, so acceleration is reduced, sort of like E mode. It's really not great for the car and at this point you should be driving on local streets, not on a highway.

i have driven to 0, in fact it was -- , and i drove it another 7 km until i was home (4.4 miles). It was on the Highway with 90km/h (57 m/h) :mrgreen:
The warning light is on at 13km, so after that i have 20 km for sure!
I have the 2015 model with Range Plus (in Europe Belgium)

I managed to go from Highlands Ranch CO to the Denver airport (36 miles) on 25% of my battery. That implies a range of 144 miles!

The lowest I have been is 2%. Eeeks!

Back before I knew to avoid this, I rolled into the dealer with 1% and 1 mile left. I had shut off all other electrical once I got the Low Battery warning. The guy took one look and immediately unplugged another car and plugged me in as he did not want to risk driving it in the garage to the downstairs plugs. Not as bad as the time I went to zero range in my gas car. Good to know that the electric might have a little reserve in its GOM like a gas car does.

I hit the warning reserve on Saturday evening for the first time. came on at 12% / 9mi remaining about a mile from my house.

Pushed the limits this time. Did a full extended range charge, drove to airport with wife, 2 kids, and 4 suitcases packed in. Parked at off site valet lot showing 69mi and 70% remaining after a 38 mile drive. Well in the comfort zone for the 38 mile return trip. Average showed something near 3mi/KwH, maybe 2.9 in what was perfect weather. Parked for a week with no concerns.

What I didn't count on was the 45 degree, dark, rainy drive home with again a full load of people and luggage. That required heat, defroster use, wipers, headlights, just about every accessory load for over a hour. It dragged the economy to 2.0 mi/KwH and we had only a few miles to spare pulling into the garage for a long recharge.

Stig, piece of cake. Maybe not for your family as you had it figured out, right?

Family was sound asleep, I'd have only woken them up if it got bad and we need to hit a public charger to top up.

In theory I wasn't THAT far from needing it, if traffic forced a 5 mile longer route or we spent more time in traffic it could have gotten a lot tighter and I'd probably have hit a charger for 15 minutes rather than risk not making it on a cold rainy night.

Most of the drive I was watching the Navi's distance to destination and the GOM range remaining get closer and closer together.

Sorry Stig, did not mean to minimize range anxiety. On a couple of occasions I have watched the GOM range start lower than mileage to destination because it was calcing off urban driving and I was on the highway but I guess in your case it was calcing accurately.

Back