Heated windshield replacement??

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperB

Hi All.

My B-Class pink heated windshield has a huge crack across it from a stone that got me in my first week of ownership. :? :cry:

Has anyone replaced theirs? Any recommendations? Do aftermarket windshield manufacturers even make this windshield? I see that safelite doesn't even have the B-Class listed on their website.

Thanks in advance!

Very sorry to hear about that. Anyone have any ideas? There may be replacement windshields as a gas version is sold in Canada. Then you would be saving on labor at the dealer. If I go to my mechanic, I save $70 per hour vs. dealer. Please don't drive with a broken windshield.

I would go to the dealer on this one. This is too specialized due to limited number of B class here. I believe this windshield (heated) is only in the b-class electric so you are going to have a hard time with aftermarket or canada.

On the plus side your comprehensive insurance should minimize the out of pocket.

I realize I'm digging this thread up from long past, but I'm about to acquire a B class electric with the heated windshield and it has a pretty darn big rock chip near the middle of the windshield. It hasn't spread yet, and I'm not sure if anyone has attempted filling it.

How much does this windshield cost from Mercedes?

I have heard that it is over $900. I would insist that the seller deduct the money or repair it.

It is truly a custom part. Most B EV parts come from Germany but Mercedes does give loaners.

Seattle Mercedes quoted ~$1,450 retail for the windshield, and that's before 9% tax and an hour or so of labor. I got the price of the car substantially reduced before buying it.

I'm pretty sure that filling the chip has not been attempted yet, so I'm going to see how it looks after that is attempted. This chip is the size of a quarter. It's probably about as big as a rock chip can get before the initial impact also causes a long crack to form. Probably scared the poop out of the driver when it happened.

The heated windshield on my B is the softest, most prone to damage of any I have ever had on any car I have ever owned. Be careful! These are $1,500 to fix at the dealer. There really isn't an alternative.

Ours got a stone chip right behind the rear view mirror which spread to a crack all the way down to the base.

In CT our insurance covers glass at 100%, All State sent me to SafeLite glass repair. The car of course wasn’t in their parts book or computer. He ordered the glass from dealer using the VIN number. Took a good 2 weeks to arrive but they changed it in the driveway at our house and I never opened my wallet.

I won’t know until winter if the heated part actually works I guess.

Greetings,

Sorry to read about windshield damage on your B250e. I noticed the windshield in mine has a slight pink tint which I've not noticed on other vehicles.
I don't have an electrically heated windshield, is that an option?

I'm surprised that an electrically heated windshield is available on an EV, due to the high current draw. My B250e has an electrically heated rear window and there are warning messages in the Owner's Manual about not using it more than necessary, and that it may not activate (or switch off early) if the 12V Battery is not sufficiently charged.

I do need to defrost the inside of the windshield on cold mornings, and doing so sets the blower to high speed. The air never feels warm, not surprising for an EV (ICE vehicles has an abundance of hot water...) On a cold morning my range drops fast, again not surprising for an EV.

Best of luck in getting a replacement and insurance coverage, please post a follow up.

Peter,

The heated windshield does have a pink hue to it and is included in the range package. If it's pink, it's heated. There is no separate button for it, it operates with the defrost. Personally, I've found the climate control in the B to be superior to any other vehicle I've owned (including other MB), but then again, I live in Texas so I use the AC far more than the heat. The AC will freeze you out! I keep mine at 76 and it's still usually too cold.

I ended up driving my B with a cracked halfway across heated windshield for 2 years to avoid the repair cost.

Finally replaced this week. Local windshield repair (in Los Angeles, CA area) had a heck of a time sourcing it. Ended up going with a non-heated after market Pilkington brand. ($700 installed)

No more fancy MB pinkish/orange tint (or heating element). :(

Wow. I replaced mine about 2 years ago with auto insurance. The shop literally have to order the parts through MBUSA and ship them from Germany (if i remember correctly) and that was somewhere about $700-$800 with 3 weeks worth of wait.

It’s bad that they don’t source parts anymore. Which just means we have to be very careful on these B class!

Glad to know yours is fixed after all!

Yep, exactly the second reason I did not pick up my gently used B250e when the lease ended. The first one was price. Who knew that the pandemic would curtain my driving mileage too.

Enjoy the ride folks. Am watching the new offerings come out and am deciding if I really need a 300 mile range EV or not.

So true Jeff. Keep us posted once you end up on another sexy ride. With my luck I’m probably resetting my 5 year counter with this b class!

Greetings,

Sorry to read about windshield damage on your B250e. I noticed the windshield in mine has a slight pink tint which I've not noticed on other vehicles.
I don't have an electrically heated windshield, is that an option?

I'm surprised that an electrically heated windshield is available on an EV, due to the high current draw. My B250e has an electrically heated rear window and there are warning messages in the Owner's Manual about not using it more than necessary, and that it may not activate (or switch off early) if the 12V Battery is not sufficiently charged.

I do need to defrost the inside of the windshield on cold mornings, and doing so sets the blower to high speed. The air never feels warm, not surprising for an EV (ICE vehicles has an abundance of hot water...) On a cold morning my range drops fast, again not surprising for an EV.

Best of luck in getting a replacement and insurance coverage, please post a follow up.

Peter,
My B class 2016 electric drive developed a crack on the windscreen. I am claiming via insurance and they will only allow autoglass to fix it. Autoglass couldn't find any " like for like " windscreen. So they are ordering it from mercedes ( not sure whether they are getting it from mercedes uk or mercedes Germany) . This is special glass with heated element and is also a solar type glass with a pink tint. Out of curiosity. I rang several glass fitters in the UK, and nobody has stock in UK. They have to order it from mercedes UK. When I spoke to mercedes UK. They gave me a part no of A2426700300. At around £500. ( Dec 2023) . Its has to ordered from Mercedes Germany. Mercedes Germany don't keep this in stock .they order from the factory only when they receive an order . I spoke to Autoglass UK. They say they don't keep supplier part numbers., but their own part number is 5377ACKCKMV6T. I did Google this part number, its a Star glass part numbers for bclass with heated element, solar glass with camera. I was told by other windshield installers that star don't have this in stock also. By the way mercedes UK told me , it may take up to 8weeks once it ordered , for delivery.

The windshield indeed has a pinkish hue. My understanding is it’s related to the EV nature of the vehicle and its heated windshield, but MB should be able clarify that for you. They are expensive and probably hard to source as well. That said, if it’s anything that can be addressed by a repair as opposed to a replacement, that would be a much less costly. Personally, I’ve never had any issues thank goodness.

Back