Without restarting, consult workshop

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheStig

Had some issues with the B back in March / April. I'll try and condense it.

Parked and connected to a public charger I've used many times before and pushed extended range (free juice, why not) headed into movies with family.

Come out of movies, malfunction warning on dash LCD screen. Didn't take a picture of exact message. Turn key, won't power up. Accessories come on, but it won't "start". Battery is something close to 100% but didn't hit 100 nor complete the extended range part of the charge. After removing the key and retrying couple dozen times it powers up just before I'm ready to push the roadside assistance button. Drove it home about 3 miles, seems normal but warning on dash remains. Visit workshop.

Drove it next day (Sunday) around town, drove and charged normally. All sorts of warnings, malfunction, visit workshop, do not restart.

Called dealer Monday and dropped off Tuesday. Given C300 loaner.

Days go by, I get an update that they have a case open with engineering in Germany for guidance. No obvious cause for the multiple stored codes. Maybe have to replace the battery, no idea really.

We get well aquatinted with the C300 loaner and gas pumps for 13 days.

Got call to pick up the car, Germany considers the car fixed. Nothing was replaced, just various tests, resets, re-flashes, code updates, discharge and recharge. They found leaking left and right front axle seals and replaced them during this visit.

12 days later, "without restarting engine again, consult workshop" that one I have a picture of. Car is driving and charging fine. Called service department, no loaners available for couple days. So we keep on using it, next day different service advisor calls and says bring it in I'll find you a loaner. They take a brand new C300 off the lot and give it to us with a dealer plate.

21 days later we get it back. The report on the paperwork says they throughly checked the battery heater and charger and were directed by engineering in Germany to replace the charger.

Been driving it daily since May 4th, all good. Am I certain it is fixed, no. Here is why. These issues started in colder weather and it was returned in warmer. If there is an issue with the battery heater we won't know for months now. It won't be cold enough to kick the battery heater on until October at best here in CT.

Dealer did everything they could, they have only sold a couple of these cars and seems like anything beyond regular maintenance gets a case opened in Germany.

The only thing I ever noticed that was odd and this could be nothing is that we had the recall campaign for loss of power while driving performed in January, and since that update the E-Cell gauge would sometimes not come all the way up in cold weather and sometimes the needle would bounce around a bit on drive where you started cold, not from the garage. Could be nothing, who knows.

Dealer and I are talking about "compensation" now, they had the car over 30 days. Hopefully we get a lease payment comp or something on that order.

I've had my 2014 B for two days and about 50 miles driven so far. Haven't even finished the import process into Canada yet. Got same message - "malfunction, visit workshop" and the seemingly more serious "Without starting engine again, consult workshop". The SOC was ~50% or so.

Anyway, I plugged in my Clipper Creek EVSE into the car for about 10 minutes at 7.7kw, and magically, the car now shows "ready", with no error messages so I drove the car for a few miles and the messages didn't come back (yet). Must be some bug in the charging system and / or it's software.

Software up to date, and recalls up to date.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm wondering if others have had this happen and seem to resolve itself on it's own.

Lord Oiler,

There is a thread on this but fyi, I got this message while driving to work. I diverted to dealer without stopping. They looked and found nothing wrong. Have not seen it since. It occurred way before software and recall updates. No harm to call the dealer in US or MB central and inquire.

Yeah, it hasn't come back since so I won't sweat it unless this becomes a regular occurrence.

On another note, I need the car's daytime running lights to stay on (regardless of the light switch position) in order for it to pass a final import inspection, then I can finally register the car and start using it as my daily driver. I'll ask my MB dealership if there is a "Canadian" setting for the DRL's, and if they don't help me, I'll take it in to another shop to wire in a relay so the DRL's stay on. Had to do this on a US Porsche too, so shouldn't be a big deal.

Interesting fact about Canadian DRLs. Anyway, Oilerlord, that sure sounds like the old software -- I haven't had a warning on the dash since the recall software was applied. I hope they did the software patch, you never know since you can't check it yourself.

TheStig, is your car working properly after they changed the OBC (On Board Charger) ? How many miles driven?

We've put about 3000 miles on the car since it returned, no issues at all. Operating normally, used all sorts of chargers along the way.

My gut tells me if there is going to be an issue, it won't show up again until the weather turns colder and the battery heaters start operating again.

No progress on the "compensation" that I need to make a phone call on. Email isn't getting the job done.

wtzouris said:
Interesting fact about Canadian DRLs. Anyway, Oilerlord, that sure sounds like the old software -- I haven't had a warning on the dash since the recall software was applied. I hope they did the software patch, you never know since you can't check it yourself.

I was able to find a workaround for the DRL's so the car passed the last inspection and is now registered, and legal to drive. We love it.

The message hasn't come back, and I'm hoping it doesn't. As for old software, that's possible though the dealer did sign a letter stating that recalls and/or service campaigns are up to date (a requirement to import the car into Canada). To that point, who the hell knows if the software is up to date because when I've contacted their service dept, they just tell me they aren't "authorized" to service the car.

My local MB dealerships are equally as helpful. One service advisor actually told me that the car isn't "admissible" into Canada which is crock since the car passed both federal & provincial inspections - and I registered and insured the car - so clearly it is.

Lesson #1. Avoid buying a B250e from a Mercedes (or other) dealership that isn't EV authorized.

Lord Oiler,

There should be a way for Mercedes central to check you car remotely as the car is wired for cellular. They issued the recall and will want to help ensure they dont get sued later, particularly since you have a letter from a Mercedes dealer. If you are inclined, you could make a couple of calls to explore this. Others may know a direct contact for recalls.

Another message today; red battery symbol. Message reads: Stop vehicle, see owner's manual. Owner's manual says 12V battery isn't charging. Happened after unplugging the EVSE during a charge (SOC was at ~75%). Anyway, I drove the car for a couple of miles, and the message went away on it's own. Must be a software bug somewhere. I'm starting to wonder if the the dealer that said they updated the software to the latest version, actually did that (they are a Mercedes dealership but non-EV authorized) I'll see if the Mbrace folks can tell me if my software is up to date.

It is hard to know if you have the latest software. There is no way of knowing without scanning the car through the OBDII port. Too bad some of these Consumer OBDII / Bluetooth/ Smartphone App adaptors can't tell you.

These warnings are suspicious -- reminds me of the old software bugs. BTW if your 12v battery dies, the car is disabled. So I know from he RAV4 EV owners that is an easy fix. (They say the 12v will last about 2-3 years in this car, not necessarily any longer than that.)

When the inverter is charging the 12V battery the voltage as displayed on my cigarette meter is 14.9V. It should be easy to verify with a voltmerer.

I had so many problems with my Leaf I purchased the plug in voltmeter from Amazon. So far the B has been fine. Since I have it I use it with my B. I recently had a coolant pump fail and that displayed a non resettable go to workshop message. I had the resettable message early on but it went away after powering off. A firmware flash is supposed to fix that.

It makes sense that the 12V battery was weak because the car was parked for months on the dealer lot. None of the warning messages have returned, so it makes sense that the alternator has probably brought the battery back to life over the past few weeks of driving the car. Thanks guys!

Just remember -- once a "regular" lead acid battery has been drained low, it is compromised, and you might only get half the life out of it, If you have deep discharged it a couple of times, it's even worse. Apparently the RAV4 EV and Mercedes are hard on 12v batteries. Some of the Toyota EV people have replaced their factory batteries with high-end Optima Spiralcell or Johnson Controls (Exide or Bosch) Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Batteries which are around $200. They can handle hundreds of deep cycles without degradation. My personal experience is with the Yellow Top Optima batteries. If you live in Canada, I would have a backup battery on hand and maybe buy a battery tender/charger to be ready for the inevitable.

I once purchased an Acura Legend and it had to be jumped to start it. When I got home that was it. It is nice to purchase a luxury car since they came to my house with a new battery. Once the battery is dead it is a goner!

Electric vehicles use the 12v for all the computing, temperature sensing, the battery charging, the timers, the telecommunications for web access to the car, etc. The manufacturers do not allow any connection from the Level 1 or Level 2 charging of the main (traction) battery to the 12v systems battery. So the 12v batt only gets charged when driving, via alternator (which I think would be belt driven?) In that scenario you'd want to occasionally drive your EV at least an hour, constant short (5-10 minute) trips would even further degrade the 12v state of charge.

There is no alternator. The 12V battery is charged by an inverter running off of the traction battery.

So the inverter has to be in use to charge the 12v batt. That's only when driving, am I correct about that?

If that is the case, when the main battery is low, the inverter stops charging the 12V, and the E-Cell meter runs down. Is that how it all ties together? Or do I have it totally wrong?

The inverter turns the DC battery voltage into AC for the propulsion. is also makes AC for the 12v charging current. Inverter works anytime the car is in motion. So 12v charging is anytime the car is being used.

Back