20 hours to charge???

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDXMarian

I purchased my 2016 b class last Thursday and I could NOT be happier!! I am currently plugging in to the 110 outlet in our garage while I wait for the electrician to come out and give us a quote to install a 240 (and possibly a charger.)

After three nights of successful overnight charging with approx 8 hours to get from 30% to 100%, last night when I plugged in, the app said it would take 21 hours to charge from 40% to 100%! And this morning, indeed, it's still only at 85% after 12 hours.

Any ideas why the charging is so much slower today? No other differences (temperature, etc.). Wondering if it has to do with the outlet/house electricity, or whether I should be concerned about the battery.

Thank you in advance for any insight. :)

I limped along with a garage outlet for a few weeks until I got my EVSE installed. I found that results were VERY haphazard. It would stop inexplicably mid-charge sometimes, and charge times varied wildly. With the EVSE on 7 kw, it is predictable and trouble free.

To go up 60% charging, it should take ~ 17-18 hours at 8amps. On your charger the default is to charge at a safer level which is 120v @ 8 amps which is around 30 hours for full charge. If you press the button on the charger and make sure it has 3 green bars instead of 2, it will charge at 12 amps which is around 20 hours for full charge.

I charge my car at 8 amps because the circuit I'm using has other devices I need and my circuit is only 15 amps. I can't wait to get my level 2 charger but given the quotes I've received to install it, I might just charge at 120v for awhile.. I just plug in overnight.

Congrats on your new B250e, did you get a great deal? When I was at the dealer, they were getting 2017s in stock.

Back