Bluetooth OBD2 Readers

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oilerlord

Just wondering if anyone has used or found a compatible OBD2 reader for their B's. I'll bet there is a wealth of data points that we don't have access to. In particular, I'd like to monitor kWh remaining, current kWh consumption, and battery temperature. There is a great IOS/Android app called "torque" that, through a bluetooth OBD2 reader - shows any of literally 100's of data points on your phone or tablet. I have a OBD2 reader that worked perfectly with all my cars - except the B. For some reason, it isn't compatible. I know that one must exist because during the federal and provincial inspections for my car (required for importing into Canada), the garage used a high-end "Snap-On" diagnostic reader plugged into the OBD2 port - where the mechanic could read all sorts of data points including error codes and diagnostic info. This wasn't Mercedes-specific equipment, but a general OBD2 diagnostic reader.

Perhaps I answered my own question. I'm going to check to see if Snap-On has such a device. If anyone has info on this, please let me know. I'll post any info I find here. Thanks!

Thanks Lord Oiler,

You are on the cutting edge of maximizing range. Good for you. For a simple consumer like me, I am just going to swap out for a 200 mile range MBe when available.

Thanks Jeff.

I found a link from the Soul EV forum that points to this:

http://canze.fisch.lu/elm327/

I have a cheap, China knock-off job that doesn't work, but apparently there are several that work just fine. Top of the list is the Maxiscan KW902. Amazon $15:

https://www.amazon.com/KONNWEI-Bluetooth-Wireless-Diagnostic-compatible/dp/B01LVWRGGL/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485560183&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Maxiscan+KW902

The nice thing about these OBD2 readers is that they can sometimes interpret what cryptic check engine lights, or in our case a "Malfunction" dashboard message might mean. I bought a Ross-Tech cable/software for my VW/Audi/Porsche needs and it's awesome. Allows me to reprogram lots of stuff on those cars. I doubt that anything like that exists for our cars in the public domain, especially for a car that's only sold a few thousand copies.

I'm not sure that a 200 mile EV would really do it for me. Sure, more range is "nice" but after 6500 miles and a pretty damn cold winter, I haven't had a lot of hardship in respect to accepting what our cars are - basic city runabout vehicles. I hang out at the Bolt forum a lot, and people are already complaining about the seats, interior quality, etc. I'd gladly trade 100 miles of range to drive car that I'm proud to own, and that's comfortable at the wheel.

Lord Oiler,

Agree 100%. Mine is strictly an urban getabout but living in a building wo a garage, I park on the street. My range has dipped predictably to 35+ miles so horrors I have to plug in twice a week instead of just weekends. Have rediscovered the MB dealer where the charge and wash is free and I can work in the lounge and sip my free refreshments. So for me, when my lease is up it will be a decision whether to buy out the lease or lease a longer legged version when available. That way, only have to charge once a week in winter and take a jaunt out to suburbia and back during warmer times. I have adapted to what our car offers, comfort and no gas.

I like the gadgets and am looking for a fun heads up display that plugs into the car.

JeffRay said:
Lord Oiler,

Agree 100%. Mine is strictly an urban getabout but living in a building wo a garage, I park on the street. My range has dipped predictably to 35+ miles so horrors I have to plug in twice a week instead of just weekends. Have rediscovered the MB dealer where the charge and wash is free and I can work in the lounge and sip my free refreshments. So for me, when my lease is up it will be a decision whether to buy out the lease or lease a longer legged version when available. That way, only have to charge once a week in winter and take a jaunt out to suburbia and back during warmer times. I have adapted to what our car offers, comfort and no gas.

I like the gadgets and am looking for a fun heads up display that plugs into the car.

I think you're in a good place with your lease. Lots of options for you when your lease comes up, including a crop of very interesting EV's on the horizon.

Have you looked at the i3 REx? It now has a 27kWh (usable) battery. The range extender option brings EPA miles up to about 205 miles. We don't have green incentives that make leases affordable where I live, so my next EV will also be used. In 4-5 years from now, I might be driving a low mileage i3 REx.

Originally I was intrigued but not after I saw how cramped it seemed in the rear seats. My two kids would not go for it. My sister leased it to commute to work and loved it. Still want range and comfort. Did rent a Tesla for four days, loved it. It is roomy but a tad outside my budget. Agree I am in a good spot with lease terminating in December.

No kids for us, so other than our dog in her crate, the rear seats are seldom used. I do value cargo area, and I think our B's have more than an i3 does. When I was shopping for used EV, the i3 took itself off the list because they were selling in the mid $30's. I didn't want to spend more than $25K.

Fast forward not even a year later, and there are a lot of low mileage i3's with REx option in the mid $20's. I find it a little surprising that my car's resale value hasn't dropped much since I bought it in May. Perhaps it's because there aren't many available on the used market? Who knows.

If the i3 was available at $25K, I might have pulled the trigger but I haven't had much success with BMW's reliability-wise and BMW Canada are a bunch of A-holes when it comes to importing them. It could easily cost $3-5K extra in their "Canadian Conversion" fees which behind scenes is code for two hours on the OBD2 programmer to do things like turning on the daytime running lights. I don't like dealing with crooks, and BMW are the worst.

Lord Oiler,

Good for you for sticking to your guns. You made the right choice.

Following up on OBD2 readers...anyone here find one that works with their B250e? There are a couple I'm considering, but would rather go with one that from another member's experience - works.

I find that my Kobra OBD2 bluetooth scanner does *not* work really with the B250e. It will report only a bit of the GPS, like altitude.

Back