Motor whining, needs replacement

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferdball

I don't know if you have been watching the Rav4 boards. But it seems that their version of the Tesla drivetrain is suceptible to failure. The extended warranty is a highly recommended option.

I have not heard of any motor replacements for the BClass, so I thought that maybe they got our version right.

But then I started hearing a whining noise when accelerating. I took it in, and it turns out I need a new motor. My dealer gave me an E300, so I'm good for as long as they need it. I will miss being able to use the carpool lane for free.

If anyone else has experienced this issue, please chime in. Otherwise, I'll post the advisors comments when I get the car back.

My car's motor whine has very gradually increased since he car was new (2 years). My whine sounds a little like what cicadas make and occurs more at slower speeds. I was thinking of bringing the car in to the dealer, but don't want to be without the car while they fix it. :)

I saw on one Tesla forum that it is common with the early Teslas. I'm interested in how long it takes to fix this...

Ferdball - you can see my latest post response to the thread titled "Without restarting, consult workshop"...

I had a different symptom, but the fix for me was a new electric motor. It has been 3 weeks and I am still waiting...

Now that you mention the motor whine noise, I would say that my motor whines more now than when it was new.

My boss has a 2014 Tesla Model S and he had his drivetrain replaced a few months ago...

If your motor whines while accelerating, but not when coasting or decelerating, then you have the same symptoms as I do.

Three weeks on a motor is not encouraging. The carpool lane saves me about 10 minutes each way. I bought a Fastrak so I can continue using it, but it costs about $2 per day. Not to mention premium fuel in the E300. Plus my carbon footprint. Coasting and braking is really overrated.

Ferdball,

The problem is US dealers will not have the wherewithal to replace an electric motor. See my post on other topic, "... consult workshop"

Let us know if MBUSA offers you a new 2016 electric or buys you out at retail price for your 2014 or 2015.

Ah, so there may be a delay in getting the motor, and maybe a lack of expertise in doing the swap? Well, I'm going to call tomorrow and ask. Joe, wouldn't the motor be coming from Tesla in NoCal? I hope they don't have them on shelves in Germany.

My guess would be from Germany and since they don't have a lot of experience in this, will micromanage this to the nth degree to minimize any liability and of course to ensure your safety. Now if you told me this is simply plug and play and any mechanic could swap out the motor, i.e. screw on and attach the leads, that might be a different story.

If I were either one of you, I would be all over them to ensure they did it correctly and once two weeks went by, do my best Larry David impression and demand a refund of new car, of which they have plenty lying around unsold. You are the ones being inconvenienced as they figure this out.

I just got a call from my service advisor (Escondido MB). He originally said 4 days, which is probably why he called today. But the parts guy told him that the last time they had to do a motor swap, it took 3 months. So, your right JeffRay.

My main problem with the length of time is that the loaner car costs me more money. I drive all the way to downtown, so the carpool lane is a huge benefit to me. I got a Fastrak, so I can use the lanes, but it costs about $5 per day. Also, I have solar so my Furl charge is almost free. With the loaner, I just filled up for $30 yesterday. Also, my lease is due in October, so maybe that will factor into any solution.

I would rather be wrong, sorry to hear 3 mos Ferdball. Given your report and the other one, I pretty much am decided against buying out my lease in December. I will either lease a 2016 leftover or wait till the new MB 200 mile range car comes online.

Hope for the best, short turnaround, for you guys.

I also authorized them to put on new tires and do an alignment. If I get this back with only 2 months left on the lease, that's a waste of money. I'm going to have another fight for that one. BTW, this will be my 4th front set in 28k miles!

Jeff, are you not interested in a Tesla Model 3? I know the East Coast won't get it too soon, so timing could be an issue. But yeah, I wouldn't buy this out for anywhere near the $22k residual price.

Ferdball said:
GGV said:
My car has whining noise when accelerating since beginning
Since the beginning? Is it getting worse? I would recommend having it looked at.

High pitched noise (whining?) was since beginning (almost 2 years). A lot of quieter than ICEngine noise and only noticeable over 50% power or on low speed and quiet road.
I never worries about it - seems to me as "natural" sound of electric motor.
Nothing else (like acceleration) was affected.

What makes you think that this is a issue?

Ferdball, it is a timing thing and I do like our MBe as do the kids. The T3 won't be available this year in any case. I figure I will do my Black Friday thing again and knock a few bucks off a lease on a 2016 leftover and turn in my gently used 2014 with about 8K miles. Yeah, I know, but it is my urban commute mobile and we have my wife's wagon for longer trips.

GGV, I don't hear that and given that two of our members cars are having their motors replaced by MB, best to have yours checked out by the dealer. Let us know what they say.

Ferdball said:
I just got a call from my service advisor (Escondido MB). He originally said 4 days, which is probably why he called today. But the parts guy told him that the last time they had to do a motor swap, it took 3 months. So, your right JeffRay.

My main problem with the length of time is that the loaner car costs me more money. I drive all the way to downtown, so the carpool lane is a huge benefit to me. I got a Fastrak, so I can use the lanes, but it costs about $5 per day. Also, I have solar so my Furl charge is almost free. With the loaner, I just filled up for $30 yesterday. Also, my lease is due in October, so maybe that will factor into any solution.

Did MB explain what's the potential consequence of the motor whining noise? I see similar symptoms as GGV but don't experience any issues besides the noise and I just had the B service and nothing was mentioned about the motor. So, I wonder if the problem is so serious that it's worth giving up the car and lose carpool lane for 3 months since I only have 11 months left on my lease.

EVNewbie, I don't know about you but if someone who is not familiar with our cars says everything is fine, the problem I have is that they don't know what the gremlins are. Different if it was a gas powered engine.

If you truly have the high pitch engine noise, I would bring it back to the dealer and tell them that two other owners had to replace the engine under warranty and that they are requested to talk to the hochos at MBUSA in NJ.

Worst case, you are driving on highway at speed and your engine craps out. When I have had a tire blow out at speed on the highway, it was the scariest thing I have ever experienced. In that case, I had the power to maneuver to the service lane and avoid causing worse.

Actually, I got a call from my service advisor. He said that they had a pow wow with the service manager, and they determined that it was safe to drive until the new drive unit came in.

This is good news, as it will save me money from gas and toll charges. But that leaves me with the need to get new tires and alignment on it.

I was supposed to pick it up on Saturday (5/20), but never got the call that it was ready. They might still call on Monday, or maybe they changed their minds..?

Back