Added hood struts to my B250e

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatricioEV

One of the cost saving measures on the B class is to have a hood prop rather than a spring-loaded hood or gas struts. There is an easy upgrade for this available on eBay that only takes about 20 minutes to install, doesn't require any drilling or alteration of the car, and can easily be removed if needed/wanted. The prop rod and rod rests (yellow plastic bits) in the hood can be very easily removed as well if wanted. The hood goes up on its own with VERY little effort. Here is the link to the product (though I think there are different sellers and prices):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonnet-Hoo...846599?hash=item41da360147:g:I1cAAOSwZfNadYyF

Here are pics of them installed on my car:

Your link was expensive. I ordered it for $79 including $20 for shipping.

I have found that there is frequently someone selling for less.

There is far more accessories for the non electric cars in England.

This is a good cheap idea and I like it.

OK, this may sound like a stupid question but why do we need to open the hood? Let me rephrase that, uh, why do we need to lift the hood other than to refill the washer fluid? Is there any oil to check? brake fluid? transmission fluid? Are you guys doing the service maintenance yourselves?

It is not something that you need. Really the prop rod works fine. It is just a upgrade that makes sense to me. It is $80 dollars that will be lost at leases end. If I was concerned then I would pass.

Some people want to avoid putting money into a leased car and that is fine. Me, I can afford a few upgrades.

I'm very particular about the cleanliness of my cars. Cleaning the motor compartment is part of my routine just as much as the interior and exterior. And it's just an inexpensive, easy upgrade that is fun to do. I like working on/upgrading my cars.

Patricio,

The pictures do show how immaculate your front end is. Can I ask how you keep it so clean?

JeffRay said:
Patricio,

The pictures do show how immaculate your front end is. Can I ask how you keep it so clean?

Honestly, I don't do anything but wipe everything down as the last part of my drying process. With EVs it's really easy to keep a motor compartment clean. Oil makes a mess of everything! Of course, I live in Texas and there's no salt on the roads in the winter, so that certainly helps.

Back