Retrofit power folding mirrors

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatricioEV

Any tried to retro fit power folding mirrors? I bought this kit and installed, but expected the mirrors to fold right away when pushing the button. Nothing. Still need to get in to dealer to code for mirrors, but I swear these do not look like they have the folding motor in them... will update, but curious if anyone else has tried.

https://www.commandonline.co.uk/w176_a_folding_mirrors.html

There should be no reason it won't work. I just haven't had a chance to make it to someone with a diagnostic computer to tell the car they were added. Upon further inspection, I can see the wires going to the folding motors.

Patricio,

I can ask my authorized MB mechanic if he can advise. Is the question correct, "What is the diagnostic code to tell MB B250e computer that power side mirrors have been installed and need to be activated?"

BTW, how does this work? When turning car off, the mirrors auto close? I only have older cars with fixed mirrors.

There is a folding button on the window switch to fold them whenever you want. You should be able to select "auto fold on door lock" from the settings as well. Then, when you unlock the doors, they unfold. At least that's how they should work when properly coded. Right now, the car doesn't recognize that they exist. These also have puddle lights (the little lights under the mirrors that light up when you unlock the car), but the car also doesn't recognize that they exist.

Within the Xentry computer software, there is a whole section on Retrofits and added options. I just don't want to pay ~$1k for a Xentry system when I just need to do a couple small things. It's more having the time to get in to the dealer. Hey, if anyone reading this has Xentry and is in the Austin area, hit me up!

Update: Success!

Was finally able to get the car into an indy shop (closest dealer wouldn't do it) and flash a few modules so the car recognizes I have folding mirrors. Mirrors fold/unfold with button push, fold automatically when you lock car, open when you open the door and the puddle lights work!! Customer service from Comand Online was terrific even with me being a pain in the butt. For $50k+ sticker, these cars really should have had this option to begin with, but for the price of the kit and $150 at the shop (I installed myself), you can add it.

The kit is £699, but for those outside the EU there's no VAT. I paid £598 or $733 including shipping. Then $150 at the Indy to have the modules flashed. Is it worth nearly $900? That's up to you. I like tinkering with cars and wanted this option, so it was worth it to me. It was far too difficult to find the correct mirrors used even searching eBay UK, Canada, and Germany. Of course, if you're adding the puddle lights, you'll also need the mirror bases with the light lens in them, but those are the same parts across many years and models, so very easy to get used or at any dealer.

Mirrors:

A246 810 600
A246 810 500

Switch:

Fits multiple models/years - just needs to have the mirror folding button

Bases w/ puddle lights:

A176 810 03 15
A176 810 04 15

Back