Marcin

Re: How to get longer range in the winter

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:15 am

Just ordinary foam insulating covers plus black electric stripes. aprox 10 USD and 1,5 hour working time.
I'll check because I suppose the heating/cooling system tank should be insulated the same.
I've got the IR camera so I'll check it out and let you know.

Regards,

Marcin

arthurmartineau

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:02 pm

I love this ideas. Am I going to have to remove it in the summer when it 100 degrees outside? :shock:

ruoho

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:55 am

Thanks for the guys sharing the photos. They are very good.

Has anyone used grill block to achieve the same results? Electronics would like it cool, but they have water cooling anyways. So I am considering a full block (some soft foam like plastic plate) between grill and radiator, or partial block + pipe insulation.

ruoho

Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:05 pm

I blocked the whole mask last week. It really does have an effect on the range. It's autumn here, and weather changes constantly, so accurate measurement is difficult to get. I'd say that the difference is something between 10 and 30 km now when temperatures are around 0 deg C. Range went from 90-110 km to 110-125 km in our daily usage.

Our daily driving varies between 60 and 150 km, so the range difference really does have an effect :)

Does anyone know if the cabin heater is electric to air, or electric heat to water and from there to air? Battery heating is for sure water based, but cabin heating could be either one.. This is interesting because water is clearly the medium which loses the heat here..

cblankespoor

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:10 am

Hi ruoho,

Thanks for your update. I'm curious how you "blocked the whole mask" :) Any chance that you'd be willing to post a few photos of your secret sauce? :)

Thanks in advance.

Curt
Michiganer
2014 B250e, Cirrus White
2006 Toyota Prius

ruoho

Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:20 am

Hi,

This implementation is quite ugly. Just that soft stuff (cell foam plastic?) cut to approximate shape. Mounting secured with zip ties, except for the topmost blocks that are just sitting there. Above the star there are no openings, so that are is not blocked.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PJ44oa67UmQD7ebd8 (I am not sure how to upload photos here).

In most cars it's easy to drop something just in front of the radiator. In the B250 bumper continues so far back that in order to do that, you'd have to remove the whole bumper. That would be too much work to do twice a year..

So my plan (plan B!) is to do a proper hidden block for 80% or so (here in Finland you do not have to worry about hot weather). Remaining 20% block, needs to be removable. I just have to figure out how that would be done :) Options would be this same foam, moving register plate lower, or design a nice 3d-printed cover (not really going to happen).

FordAnglia

Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:04 am

ruoho wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:20 am
(I am not sure how to upload photos here).
I upload the PIX to the IBB Image site.
Copy and embed the URL in the message text. Use the BBcode full linked option.

Peter,
2017 B250e Jupiter Red

rrattie

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:45 pm

Okay, I posted this on the B Facebook group, but I'll share here for those not giving up souls to Mark Zuckerberg.

So, today this was put to the test. My wife who doesn't usually drive my car drove it to take my daughter to orchestra practice, then drove down to get me from the metro station.. then drove back to get my daughter and then drove home with the heat set to 68 degrees F. This seems to me like vindication of the insulation installation, especially at these temperatures.

Starting Range: 77 miles
Ending Range: 8 miles
Total distance driven: 77 miles
Outside temps: 40 degrees F

**Because she doesn't normally drive the B.. she drove 30 miles on the highway at 70 mph when coming to get me.

--------------------
2014 South Seas Blue Metallic B-Class 250 ED

rrattie

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:49 pm

For future reference, you can use https://imgbb.com/ to post images for free.. just an FYI.. found it myself when wanting to post those photos
--------------------
2014 South Seas Blue Metallic B-Class 250 ED

FordAnglia

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:44 pm

rrattie wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:49 pm
For future reference, you can use https://imgbb.com/ to post images for free.. just an FYI.. found it myself when wanting to post those photos
Scroll up. I already shared how to post PIX to this forum using imgbb.

Peter,
2017 B250e Jupiter Red

Return to “Modifications and Accessories”