B250E range

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

Many reviewers like the car except for the range. Well when I totaled my old B Class I had 14 months left on the lease and the mileage was 8023. Short range works for me and if I was going hundreds of miles I would rent a car. If I owned a car with hundreds of miles range I would still rent a car to keep down my car's mileage. My lease and insurance is for 7500 miles a year and for me that is more than enough.

When I was working I put around 43 miles a day on my Leaf (I am now retired). I was able to charge at work but it was not really necessary. I think many are in fear. You just charge at night instead of driving until empty and filling the tank. It just needs a different mind set.

The range does kind of trip people out as soon as they ask how far it can go. With this being our second EV, the first being our Bolt, range issues aren't really something I think about anymore very often. It does indeed just take a different mindset.

We traded in our last two ICEV in buying this B from out of dallas. But we live 260 miles away from the dealer, and I have no patience for putting the B on a transport to bring it to tulsa. So I drove it. The dealer about had a melt down when I said that I was driving it... he simply doesn't understand.

So with that in mind, always have a back up plan, because he did what I expected, which was not charge it. It only had about 40% battery, but I got it to the north side of dallas where I plugged in at a whole foods, had dinner and took a nice long nap. The charger wasn't running particularly fast (5.5kW/h) so I just relaxed for a few hours (which was needed since I had already been on the road all day with the Titan towing a uhaul transport with our smart car on it).

Left there about midnight and drove to Atoka Oklahoma 96 miles away, which is obviously outside the 89 EPA range, but having lots of experience with hypermiling the Bolt, I just applied it to the B. Got there about 3am with mileage to spare. Travel time was a little long because of a stop in the middle somewhere when the car caught me dozing off and alarms started going off. Interesting tech... need to read up on how it knew I went to sleep while driving. Plugged in and went back to sleep, but I engaged the range extender, 7am the car was topped off and displayed 122 miles range, 9 miles short of my destination.

I was not able to open up the spread between the expected range and the actual range on navigation, this is probably the most important thing I think I've learned about driving a EV with their guess o meters... I constantly am checking the expected range VS the actual distance to go. If the net difference In the spread starts shrinking, I slow down, reduce climate control. If its growing but I want to drive a little faster, I can speed up or add more climate control. If its stable and I can't make it grow or shrink, then I feel like i'm at the max of my ability and the guess o meter isn't guessing any more.

So knowing I would definitely be 9 miles short from home, I stopped for a few mins in McAlester Oklahoma, grabbed breakfast now that it was closer to 9am, chatted with the store owner, who owns a Tesla X and had never heard of a B. What I didn't know was that the car was pulling almost 10kW off my 40A charger I carry with me. And shortly I had wayyyyy more than enough to get home and was there by 10:30am. Pretty fun, but uneventful trip.

89 miles sounds tiny.. but with the range extender, patience and planning, its even possible to travel across a EV desert like Oklahoma. EVs are more about enjoying the trip, than simply going as far as you can, as fast as you can. Slow down and spend some time sharing your EV experiences with strangers. :)

Well I'm impressed!

But I don't quite understand that last stop. Did the store owner have a 40A outlet you were able to use?

Did the store owner have a 40A outlet you were able to use?

He actually had 70A powered 14-50 outlet, and I was using my 40A cord from my home. The Bolt only pulls like 32A off the 40A, but the B was using ALL 40A (39.9A actually).

So I guess i'll have to buy the B its own charger for the house and wire another big ass breaker into the panel.

@TravisB

What charger are you using? And can you share tips for hypermiling for us newbies?

Back