COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joneng22

Hi,

Does anyone know how to disable this? In certain situations, I want full control of my braking (as opposed to having the vehicle brake automatically). I went through the owners manual and cycled through the on-board menu with no luck.

sendler2112 said:
Have you ever felt it do anything? If not, why disable it?

Yes. Quite often. On the highway if a car is less then 2 car lengths away (approx. 25 - 30 feet), the braking is automatically applied. So in essence if another car turns into your lane less than 25 - 30 feet, the brakes are applied slightly. It's like having a driving instructor in the passenger seat breaking for you.

So I did a little testing this weekend. It seems if you drive in "D+" mode, the automatic braking is not applied (or perhaps not so sensitive) from the "collision prevention assist" feature. My previous post on this topic was based on driving in "D auto".

I think as mentioned above, this braking is due to regen when in the Dauto mode. Using D+ is essentially coasting, and I believe will prevent this braking you are experiencing.

Collision Prevent Assist, as per the manual is two things, none of which actually brake the car (if I'm reading correctly)

1. It sounds a warning
2. It lights a distance warning light

The second part of the system is adaptive brake assist (part of the collision prevent assist package). And as I read it (Manual page 66) it increases your braking force, when you brake.

According to the manual (page 184) you should be able to disable this if you do desire. It requires getting into the DriveAssist menu in the E-Cell, and then navigating to Distance Warning, and turning it off there.

Ray

Back